Single Bevel v Double Bevel

sportsman94

Hey guys, looking at going with a heavier arrow setup this season. Been doing a lot of research on different broadheads. I feel like single bevel is a little overkill for deer. Been looking at VPA 2 blade or 3 blade as well as the abowyer bonehead. Looking at 200 grain broadheads. What are yalls thoughts? Any other broadhead suggestions?

hancock husler

I’ve been shooting the grizzly stik 125 single bevel and extremely pleased with flight and penetration. They are very expensive but can take the abuse

hancock husler

Also GrizzlyStik is having a happy hour sale tomorrow. 3 heads $49.99. Great deal on single bevel heads

alwayslookin

I like the VPA head. I used the 150 gr non-vented. One of the toughest heads I've ever used.

I keep going back to the Slick Trick in 150 though.

200 grains up front is pretty heavy for a compound bow, I'd try 150s first if you haven't already.

IMG_0443.JPG

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
You know, if you're happy with your current broadhead's performance, you could always just add weighted inserts to increase FOC and still retain your tried and true broadhead.

sportsman94

You know, if you're happy with your current broadhead's performance, you could always just add weighted inserts to increase FOC and still retain your tried and true broadhead.
I don't really have a "tried and true" broadhead. I normally buy whichever expandable is on clearance right before season. Wanting to move to fixed blade and have one less thing to worry about!

alwayslookin

I like steel ferrules and thick blades...3 or 4 blade heads. There are plenty all-steel heads with good blade thickness to choose from. Total length is something to consider as well. A longer head will plane more but blade angle is less steep so it might penetrate a little better than a short head with a steep blade angle.

Just some things to consider. Grab a couple different fixed heads and get em dialed in this summer and then put em to the test on a deer this fall. Whatever you decide on, keep em sharp.

ddd-shooter

Personally, I'd prefer a three blade head that's 1 1/2" or under. I shoot a 125 grain broadhead that completes my arrow at 515 grains and it hits like a tank.
I use expandable heads though.

Ben1100Mag

On Deer I am not convinced that the single bevel head is all that necessary. If you hunting Cape Buffalo I am sure it makes a difference. I do think that a High FOC helps penetration a lot. I have always shot heavy arrows but have switched to a high FOC. My set up now has a total arrow weight of 650 grains with 255 grains head and a 75 grain brass insert up front. I shoot Zwickey No Mercy heads with a steel adapter. I do not fear bone and penetration and pass thru are no longer an issue.

Ihunt

Hey guys, looking at going with a heavier arrow setup this season. Been doing a lot of research on different broadheads. I feel like single bevel is a little overkill for deer. Been looking at VPA 2 blade or 3 blade as well as the abowyer bonehead. Looking at 200 grain broadheads. What are yalls thoughts? Any other broadhead suggestions?

I have shot both and even though I have witnessed the rotation of a single bevel through a deer, I don’t feel as though it served any purpose. They all died regardless of the head used.

Weight is King for helping penetration but how much is actually needed for deer? More if using an expandable and less if using something like the QAD Exodus.

I shoot a higher FOC ( around 19%) and while I do think it helps control broadhead flight I’m not sure it’s really helpful in penetration from a compound. Recurve yes. Read about archers paradox.

As far as a suggestion I would build a arrow in the low to mid 400 grains and tip it with something like Exodus or a Magnus head and call it good. That’s assuming a “normal” DW and DL. If you’re a very short DL or DW you should actually boost arrow weight.

sportsman94

Well I decided to go with a VPA three blade in 200 grain. I have a 100 grain insert putting 300 grains up front with a TAW of about 600 grains. FOC somewhere in the 20-23% range if my calculations are correct. I don't think this is going to be the last broadhead I buy, but these things look sweet. Ill end up with some 2 blade single and double bevels eventually to see what my favorites are. Thanks for the help guys.

Wayne D Davis

Still studying what I need weight wise for my new to me bow "infinity edge pro". Thinking I like Montec G5. My Crossbow is setup with shwacker and rocky mountain , first cut x

Long Cut

Magnus, Iron Will, Grizzly Stik and Day Six all produce quality broadheads with excellent warranties.

I would only worry about single bevel if I had a real light draw weight or was hunting African big game

alwayslookin

Still studying what I need weight wise for my new to me bow "infinity edge pro". Thinking I like Montec G5. My Crossbow is setup with shwacker and rocky mountain , first cut x

I used the Montec years ago. It's a good design, solid, one-piece head. It seemed like I couldn't get em super sharp though not sure if it was the materials or what-not but a good head regardless.

Wayne D Davis

I used the Montec years ago. It's a good design, solid, one-piece head. It seemed like I couldn't get em super sharp though not sure if it was the materials or what-not but a good head regardless.
I purchased a set last season and never tried them. I used shockers. Figure I'd try them this season

deast1988

I’ve tried a pile of 200gr heads. My current favorite is the vpa 2 blade with a rada wheel I can get them hair popping sharp. Blood trails, haven’t had one that dumped buckets but they’ve bled fine and were recovered. This year I’m running screw in Valkyrie 200grs along with the vpa 2 blades. I’ve totally tuned and bare shafted.

Full length GoldTip velocity XT 340
5in feathers
100gr gold tip insert
200gr head.

Any 200gr head fly’s like a dart, 53lbs@27in off a centaur triple carbon longbow. Building up this arrow made me go heavier on my compound.

I was running 460/475gr arrows, last fall I hit a shoulder with a 1.5in Grim reaper fatal steel on a 500gr built up black eagle rampage and still failed to penetrate.

So I went up to 580ish grains and gave up on expandables.

DaySix 250
4 fletch
29.25in long
50gr outsert system
125gr Kudupoint/ IronWill s125

It knocks the crap out of the target, I’m using 80lbs@29in off a hoyt RX3 ultra