Size estimate

tgc

I’ve got a barbed wire fence with hog hair pulled from the back of a hog. The fence is 32” off of the ground. Can anyone estimate the weight of a wild hog that stands 32” high?

stonecreek

Would be hard to estimate due to the fact that height don't always equate weight. I have killed hogs that were tall at the shoulder but not heavy and smaller height hogs that were built like a tank.

tgc

the first strand of wire is 32" off the ground?
No. The first is about 4”. This is probably a 50 year old abandoned fence. This is one of the only spots a hog can just walk under. The deer can jump it anywhere but pigs can’t fly as they say.

Jester896

Senior Clown
It likely jumped over the first wire and snagged on the top. I don't see a hog just stepping over the fence and rubbing its back...not saying it didn't happen...just other things are more likely

Todd E

Hogs are one of the most incorrectly estimated animals there are. My best teaching tool was to weigh every hog I brought out.. on a digital crane scale. Then compare weights to trail cam pics.

Your best bet would be to drop a cam on that fence crossing. If, you have one.

tgc

Yea, I have a camera. What we don’t have is a steady population of hogs. I cleaned hair off of that fence a year ago. Today I went through there and pulled off 7 or 8 black hairs. Since it’s cleaned off now maybe I’ll visit once a month or so. Thanks for your help!

280 Man

Banned
Yea, I have a camera. What we don’t have is a steady population of hogs. I cleaned hair off of that fence a year ago. Today I went through there and pulled off 7 or 8 black hairs. Since it’s cleaned off now maybe I’ll visit once a month or so. Thanks for your help!

You had better thank the Lord that you don't! The county I hunt in SC has hogs but where I hunt I haven't had a pic of a hog, nor seen any signs of hogs in over 3 years.

But with that said, there's 2 types of places. Those that have hogs and those will have hogs, eventually..