Skinning squirrels

MikeyD6

Deleted
Question for you guys, how do you skin your squirrels? I saw the tail method on youtube, but when I try it the tail just comes off. Any tips or tricks on how to make this work?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Cut them just behind the head on the spine and then pull the skin inside out. Then cut it off at the head and legs. You can catch the head end of skin on a nail to make it easier.

Hillbilly stalker

If your pulling the tail off, you need to cut a little more skin back. Put your heel of your boot on the flap of skin and let the tail act as a stop. A slow steady pull is what works,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Usually the tail thing, sometimes shirt and britches. The tail thing works great, but it takes a few times to figure out how much and where to cut.

Etoncathunter

Catfish pliers and a paracord noose is what I use. Cut the feet/tail off and cut the skin around the neck then put the noose around it. Grab the hide with the catfish pliers and shuck it.Coretta.
I've always done the spilt in the back and pull method, but I think I'll give this method a shot. Now to just find some squirrels in these mountains, they've been few and far between for the last few years.

Ugahunter2013

-Cut slit on backbone
-wedge your middle and index finger from each hand in there and pull
-work the skin around the shoulders and legs and cut
-cut off head and tail
-snip in the rear and carefully go up the stomach out through the neck
-take guts out and glands under arms
-thats it, pretty simple.

specialk

Always heard theres more than one way to skin a cat ....today i learned theres more than one way to skin a squirrel!

bogobble

I like the video slickest and quickest video. That's the way I'm gonna start skinning em. Made me a deal yesterday like in the video to hang the tail if sq on. I tried skinning one yesterday evening like that and made a mess. I can't get the hide skint up the legs like he showed on the video. But I'm gonna learn that way seems the easiest way, and quickest. Just gotta practice I reckon