Slow start to the season?

WoodlandScout82

I don't know about you guys, but I haven't been seeing Anything! I saw a Sow and cubs on opening day, but that's been it. I'm up at 1800-2000' and it's just quiet aside from woodpeckers and squirrels. The reds have dropped like crazy, there are some much bigger acorns that have just started falling, but not sure of the species. All the branches and springs are all but dry. What do you guys think? Should I move up to the higher elevations? I've found No deer sign and almost no bear sign.

jbogg

They will eat the red’s, but if there are white oak acorns in the area they will eat those first. Start covering some ground looking for fresh feeding sign. Lots of fresh Scat is ideal, but Even a little fresh sign can pay off. I walked for two days and could hardly find any fresh sign opening weekend of bow season. The following Friday I went back and started walking up a ridge where I had only been able to find one fresh pile of Scat the weekend before, but there were lots of white oaks that were dropping like crazy. I climbed into my tree saddle 15 feet up at 4:30 PM, and I saw three different bears in three hours, and shot a nice 120 pounder that I could not find. Other feeding sign like cracked acorn hulls and freshly disturbed leaves can produce as well. The area I was hunting had knee-high blueberry bushes everywhere, so it was very difficult to see the sign. Get mobile and you will find something worth hunting.

WoodlandScout82

They will eat the red’s, but if there are white oak acorns in the area they will eat those first. Start covering some ground looking for fresh feeding sign. Lots of fresh Scat is ideal, but Even a little fresh sign can pay off. I walked for two days and could hardly find any fresh sign opening weekend of bow season. The following Friday I went back and started walking up a ridge where I had only been able to find one fresh pile of Scat the weekend before, but there were lots of white oaks that were dropping like crazy. I climbed into my tree saddle 15 feet up at 4:30 PM, and I saw three different bears in three hours, and shot a nice 120 pounder that I could not find. Other feeding sign like cracked acorn hulls and freshly disturbed leaves can produce as well. The area I was hunting had knee-high blueberry bushes everywhere, so it was very difficult to see the sign. Get mobile and you will find something worth hunting.
I did a lot of walking this weekend. Found just one fairly fresh pile of scat and one tree that had been freshly climbed, but it was a small bear judging by the claw marks. There is scat on the side of the ridge I've been spending time at, but I might be there at the wrong time. I've been out 4 Times from daylight till dark.

Buckman18

White oaks hit over 3K in my part of the world, and thsts where ive been hunting and seeing my game. With this drought, being nearer a spring or creek way up high wouldnt be a bad thought either. The other day i talked myself into trying a lower level ridge just because it had good history and didnt see squat. Im going back up top today, will be 3800 ft close to a spring in some huge white oaks on the old Burton WMA.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive been hunting at approx 2500 feet.
The 3 bears i saw saturday, were feeding on White and mountain chestnut acorns.

splatek

UAEC
Man, that advice to walk and then walk some more had really paid off in finding sign, but not bears for me. But I did find a pretty awesome spot, fresh scat, fresh feeding sign, etc, but like some of y'all mentioned sweaty as all get out by the time I get up to a good pinch point or saddle or gap that I am not sure I am not just blowing them out. I am what you would call a sweater - I am usually drenched if it's even the least bit humid so this weather is killing me!

I wonder what you guys think the effect of the dog run is going to have on the later season bear hunting on Chat and Chest? Seems like there are a few negative comments about the doggers and the fact that several are out of state on that thread, but I have no idea weather it will (seriously) negatively effect the bear hunting in those areas. I tried to search for why they decided to allow the dog hunt this year, which I think is its first iteration, but I cannot find any document. I know when it comes to fishing the DNR has open meetings to discuss regulations and usually takes into consideration (at least a little) the needs/wants/desires of those paying the (fishing) license fees. I've seen something like that for hunting as well, but never attended a meeting. I am just curious if it's going to be worth a late season trek up to the mountains to have another go or if the bears are going to be so far deep in the woods that I should just prep for next season. I talked to Buckman about this a little, but curious what the others think, because the bears just like to walk into Buckman's arrows/bullets, anyhow! LOL

ddd-shooter

Man, that advice to walk and then walk some more had really paid off in finding sign, but not bears for me. But I did find a pretty awesome spot, fresh scat, fresh feeding sign, etc, but like some of y'all mentioned sweaty as all get out by the time I get up to a good pinch point or saddle or gap that I am not sure I am not just blowing them out. I am what you would call a sweater - I am usually drenched if it's even the least bit humid so this weather is killing me!

I wonder what you guys think the effect of the dog run is going to have on the later season bear hunting on Chat and Chest? Seems like there are a few negative comments about the doggers and the fact that several are out of state on that thread, but I have no idea weather it will (seriously) negatively effect the bear hunting in those areas. I tried to search for why they decided to allow the dog hunt this year, which I think is its first iteration, but I cannot find any document. I know when it comes to fishing the DNR has open meetings to discuss regulations and usually takes into consideration (at least a little) the needs/wants/desires of those paying the (fishing) license fees. I've seen something like that for hunting as well, but never attended a meeting. I am just curious if it's going to be worth a late season trek up to the mountains to have another go or if the bears are going to be so far deep in the woods that I should just prep for next season. I talked to Buckman about this a little, but curious what the others think, because the bears just like to walk into Buckman's arrows/bullets, anyhow! LOL
After October, my sightings for bears drops considerably anyway. But thats just me. I still see them, they're just not as active.
As to the OP, I've seen four bears thus far, and to be honest, I've only hunted my deer spots. I'll hit a few higher places this weekend when my schedule will allow it.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've only been in the woods twice, and had a bear encounter in one of those. Plenty of fresh sign from 3700-4000 feet where I was. Virtually none below that, but that's only one little corner of USFS land.