Small black wooly bugger

oldguy

Waded the creek yesterday and the solar flare Boogle Bug was the ticket! Caught bluegills, red breast, green sunfish, "stum knockers" (spotted sunfish), and a couple of shoal bass. At some point bit the BB off and tied on a small (size 10) black wooly bugger with a tiny split shot up the line 6 or 8 inches. Retrieved in short strips it's a killer in its own right. I like fishing a wooly bugger!
Looking at the stringer in the clear water it struck me that I don't understand art and I have no fascination with jewelry, but I recognize beauty when I see it and to me there's not much prettier than a mixed stringer of creek fish.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Waded the creek yesterday and the solar flare Boogle Bug was the ticket! Caught bluegills, red breast, green sunfish, "stum knockers" (spotted sunfish), and a couple of shoal bass. At some point bit the BB off and tied on a small (size 10) black wooly bugger with a tiny split shot up the line 6 or 8 inches. Retrieved in short strips it's a killer in its own right. I like fishing a wooly bugger!
Looking at the stringer in the clear water it struck me that I don't understand art and I have no fascination with jewelry, but I recognize beauty when I see it and to me there's not much prettier than a mixed stringer of creek fish.
So true. Whether it's little wild trout or colorful bream, creek fish are the jewels of the critter world. And in a world of bass boats, tournaments, and fast-paced fishing, too few people nowadays take the time to appreciate them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Pure happiness is a secluded jewel of a creek through undeveloped plantation country with a 3 wt flyrod in hand, and a mixed stringer of fish.

oldguy

So true. Whether it's little wild trout or colorful bream, creek fish are the jewels of the critter world. And in a world of bass boats, tournaments, and fast-paced fishing, too few people nowadays take the time to appreciate them.
Hey NCHB we're really lucky too few people appreciate our creeks and fish!! After I posted I wished I'd included trout too. A 6" native is nothing if not a jewel! I know they're non-native but I love the looks of a wild stream bred brown. In Montana the high mountain streams held beautiful 6-8" cut throats - more little jewels

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Years ago a buddy owned a spring fed pond lined with willows which overhung bream beds. A black BW tied on a light #6 cricket hook was the ticket. Stout enough to hold a fighting bluegill, but would yield to a steady tug when hung up on roots in the shallow beds. The hook would slightly straighten causing it to free from the roots but was easily reshaped with fingers. No break-offs or having to paddle into the beds to free the hook. That was one heckuva pond. Gil