Small Boat Question

CB86

Apologize if this is in the wrong forum, looking for ideas for a small boat for me and a 7 year old to fish in small, electric only lakes. We’ve got access to a couple that aren’t very big (10 acres or so). Thought about a standard Jon Boat but have also looked at the smaller Basstender boats. Any suggestions welcome.

pbradley

Hard to beat the versatility of a jon boat.

Agreed. A 12 foot jon boat will seat two with gear comfortably and handle just about any situation. If you plan on getting a trolling motor, make sure you don't get one with a shaft that is too long, and get as much power as you can afford.

JROESEL

Get the widest one you can get, I wouldn’t go narrower then 60” bottom,
I’ve got a 54” and a 72” (at the bottom)
The stability and water displacement is not even comparable, Get a quality boat with trailer, you and your 7 year old will appreciate when it comes time to use it years to come, you might want to look at the Lowe rough neck aluminum boats, you could get a 72” for a reasonable price,

Nimrod71

I suggest a 12 ft. alum jon boat with a 36 in bottom. In my younger days I had one and I caught more fish in it than any boat I have had since.

crackerdave

Appreciate all the help! This will give me a good starting point. I grew up on a bass boat but never did any of the small boat stuff. Thanks again.
By the way...there are a lot of municipal water reservoirs that allow electric boats like you are talking about.

Havana Dude

I would suggest 14’ , 4’ wide minimum. Would be a safer choice in my opinion, should you have a need to throw a 9.9 on the back for places that allow motors. Just a thought, enjoy whatever you choose.

greg_n_clayton

I would suggest 14’ , 4’ wide minimum. Would be a safer choice in my opinion, should you have a need to throw a 9.9 on the back for places that allow motors. Just a thought, enjoy whatever you choose.
Another thing about the 9.9 motors. If you can find a good older model.....a carb swap will give you 15 hp.

ucfireman

I got a 14ft 48wide jon. Stable and big enough.
Never used a bass tender but they look tipsy, high center of gravity. 1
Just wear a life vest with whatever. Atleast while under power.

Nimrod71

Just go all the way. I love my 548 War Eagle. Its 15 ft. long with 48 inch bottom. I can walk all around it. It's powered by a Tohatsu 30 with Power T/T and has a 55 lb. Motor Guide on the bow.