Small magnum primers in 38 special?

Magowah

Have not loaded 38's since 07. Did 5 or 6 hundred then but my children always want to shoot especially when they have guests from their schools who have never shot. Doing inventory of supplies I found several hundred small magnum pistol primers I am sure I bought for 357's. Gagged when I saw what they want now for primers IF you can find them. Anyone have any loads using them for 38? Will be loading cast lead wadcutters and simi WC's with Unique for target shooting. Thanks!

Old Texan

Do not use magnum primers unless the loading data says to.....Over pressure issues can be catastrophic.

There have been a couple threads discussing use of magnum primers as a substitute and it should not be done.

Very few loads call for magnum primers in 357 so not sure what recipe you were using.

You can use the magnum primers in your target loads with no problem. You don't need a special recipe, just use the loads you normally use.

Old Texan

You can use the magnum primers in your target loads with no problem. You don't need a special recipe, just use the loads you normally use.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=739499&highlight=
This thread talked about the mag primers and offers what I consider some great information. Note post 8 in particular.

To each his own, but I'm not into experimenting with this type of thing and will rely on loading manuals for what I shoot.

leoparddog

Have you thought about contacting the powder companies directly? Thinking Hodgdon and Alliant primarily. They may be able to put you on a safe path.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=739499&highlight=
This thread talked about the mag primers and offers what I consider some great information. Note post 8 in particular.

To each his own, but I'm not into experimenting with this type of thing and will rely on loading manuals for what I shoot.

And that's probably the prudent thing for you to do.

I on the other hand have loaded several thousands of the exact .38 special loads to which OP refers, with magnum primers, for the exact same reason he states (had the primers, needed to use them). And each one of those several thousand has gone "bang" in a satisfactory manner, I still have all my fingers, all of my .38/357 revolvers are still in jam up shape, and the world still spins on its axis.

According to the post 8 you reference, shooting Bullseye with standard primers is dangerous. I would expound on the details on loading .38 target loads, but I wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a good theory.

Old Texan

And that's probably the prudent thing for you to do.

I on the other hand have loaded several thousands of the exact .38 special loads to which OP refers, with magnum primers, for the exact same reason he states (had the primers, needed to use them). And each one of those several thousand has gone "bang" in a satisfactory manner, I still have all my fingers, all of my .38/357 revolvers are still in jam up shape, and the world still spins on its axis.

According to the post 8 you reference, shooting Bullseye with standard primers is dangerous. I would expound on the details on loading .38 target loads, but I wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a good theory.

Nor will I expound on your inability to read.....Post 8 refers to Mag Primers, not Standard.;)

To each his own.....May lady luck continue to follow you. And when you decide to put "your facts" to paper in the form of a loading manual, please let us know.:rolleyes:

Nor will I expound on your inability to read.....Post 8 refers to Mag Primers, not Standard.;)

.:rolleyes:

Really.

Then apparently you didn't bother to read the entire post.

Mag primers and a light load of Bullseye is dangerous.

The small powder charge in the case will lay out in the case horizontally then the primer fires shooting over the whole surface of the powder causeing the burn rate/ pressure to be increased.

This can happen with very low powder charges of bullseye and standard primers resulting in overpressure.
With Bullseye and mag primers not a good idea. A slower burning powder like Unique would be safer with the mag primers.

I'll be glad to help you with your reading comprehension, what part of "standard primers" did you not understand. BTW, the statement about overpressure is wrong, casting doubt on anything the poster says.

The inability of too many people to read and comprehend is the very reason I don't publish my reloading findings.

Rolling eyes right back at you.

Old Texan

Really.

Then apparently you didn't bother to read the entire post.

I'll be glad to help you with your reading comprehension, what part of "standard primers" did you not understand. BTW, the statement about overpressure is wrong, casting doubt on anything the poster says.

The inability of too many people to read and comprehend is the very reason I don't publish my reloading findings.

Rolling eyes right back at you.

I was focusing on the mag primer portion of the statement smart guy. Have it any way you want Perfesser. I'll stick with accredited sources.....You keep working on getting Gilligan off the island. Or blowing him off as the case may be with your "findings".;)

This has become completely nonproductive and beyond what this forum is about. So I'm done, you win. Buh-bye:yawn:

Big7

The Oracle
Simple.

Unless you are a VERY accomplished hand loader and know EXACTLY what to look for as far as over pressure, I wouldn't do it.

The fact that you have to ask tells me to advise you NOT to fool with it.
(not knocking, just warning):D;)

Starting out "low" is not as simple as it sounds.
To little powder can be more dangerous than overload. This is known as "flash over"
In this case, ALL of the powder would go at one time causing a "detonation" rather than a "burn". Pistol powders are especially "fast burning".. Magnum primers can add as much as 20% pressure.

Can it be done? Sure. IF you know how.

I'd say NOOOO WAY.

Magowah

Found some standard small pistol primers and am using them. The price was "painful" but lost half a finger when I was 14 and it hurt much worse. Thanks for your advice, sorry some of you got upset.