Smith and Wesson 500 mag set up

jimmyhoffa

I would like to get my s and w 500 magnum with 8.3” barrel hunting ready.... can someone recommend a mount and rings? Also, scope Brand/magnification recommendation....I am new to hand gun hunting and will be hunting whitetail in Georgia. Thank you!

Reactions: Dub

ChidJ

I think the big question to ask is how much money are you lookin to spend? Lots of great options but they span a wide range of prices for features you may or may not be looking for

ChidJ

Here's what I'd call a middle of the road setup

Weigand X Frame top rail

Leupold PRW-2 1 Inch Rings

Leupold FXII Handgun Scope

Shop around and the whole setup could be had for less than 500 bucks

Here's what I'd call a middle of the road setup

Weigand X Frame top rail

Leupold PRW-2 1 Inch Rings

Leupold FXII Handgun Scope

Shop around and the whole setup could be had for less than 500 bucks

You also might want to look at the Leupold VX-3, both are excellent choices. The FX is a fixed 4 power, the VX is a variable 2.5-8 with a wider field of view.
I use medium rings with the VX.

jimmyhoffa

All right... so far, so good. All is ordered/back ordered... what type of ammo do you recommend using? I’ll probably be hunting within a 100 yard range... I did pick up the leupold fxii. At least backordered it...thanks again for the input!

deast1988

Anything hollowpoint should work.

350gr hornady XTP should wreck

280 Man

Banned
I would like to get my s and w 500 magnum with 8.3” barrel hunting ready.... can someone recommend a mount and rings? Also, scope Brand/magnification recommendation....I am new to hand gun hunting and will be hunting whitetail in Georgia. Thank you!

That's a cannon. You jumped into the deep end of the pool with this one. Good luck with it.

Blackston

I worked at a plantation in the early 2000’s Hornady came down and tested some ammo for the 500 , they were shoulder shooting 350lb boar hogs with it and dropping em ..... pretty impressive!!!!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That’s one nice pistola! Congrats and good luck with it !

Dub

Have you had any range sessions with the beast ?

Looking forward to seeing your updates.