Smokin' a bird. 'Bout done.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks about perfect! I can almost smell it from here. Our family isn't doing the official gathering until Friday afternoon, so I'll be putting one on Friday morning, along with a spiral ham.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Turned out great. Got it cut up, vac sealed and a chunk ready for tomorrow's dinner.

Duff

My goodness!! That looks great!! I’ve got one going on the Akorn about 2am. What temp and how much time do yours take?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Mine is in the brine. I am trying a citrus brine this year. I'll let you know how it turns out. I am putting mine on in the morning. Gonna try for a quicker smoke @ 350F

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My goodness!! That looks great!! I’ve got one going on the Akorn about 2am. What temp and how much time do yours take?
On the Akorn, it usually takes me about 2 1/2 hours, sometime 3 or a fuzz more depending on the size of the turkey. I'm usually running at 275-325*.

turkey2.jpg

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Ke
Kept it around 250, and it took about 3.5 hours to get to 170 degrees. Make sure to check the temp in a couple spots. Thighs, right against the body seem to take the longest to get to temp.

Duff

On the Akorn, it usually takes me about 2 1/2 hours, sometime 3 or a fuzz more depending on the size of the turkey. I'm usually running at 275-325*.

View attachment 1118801
Ke

Kept it around 250, and it took about 3.5 hours to get to 170 degrees. Make sure to check the temp in a couple spots. Thighs, right against the body seem to take the longest to get to temp.

I appreciate it guys. I don’t know why I go for the slow and low stuff. I usually deep fry but decided to smoke this year. Everything I read said 7-9 hrs. I started at 3 am and was done by 6:15:rofl:

Note to self, don’t wake up at 2:00 next thanksgiving. Hope y’all have a great thanksgiving!!

Redbow

We are having both a fried and a smoked Turkey today. Then tomorrow up to my sisters place for another helping of ahh, well whatever she is fixing for the few still left in our family.

All those birds you folks are cooking sure look good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate it guys. I don’t know why I go for the slow and low stuff. I usually deep fry but decided to smoke this year. Everything I read said 7-9 hrs. I started at 3 am and was done by 6:15:rofl:

Note to self, don’t wake up at 2:00 next thanksgiving. Hope y’all have a great thanksgiving!!
Wrap it in foil and a towel and chunk it in a cooler, it’ll stay scorching hot for hours.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Both of them birds look awesome!!!!!!

kayaksteve

Looks delicious. I just pulled 2 off the egg. Wish I woulda thought about pictures!