Snake bite?

Rabun

Hey all, we were up in mountains this past weekend and I noticed this yesterday. Looks to me like a “dry” snake bite. She doesn’t seem to have much discomfort (a little sensitive but no favoring or licking), no swelling but does appear to have a little necrosis. I’ve been putting a small amount of topical antibiotic on it to ward off infection.

Does this look like a dry bite? Should I be giving her anything else...antibiotic?

Thanks!

Attachments

• C42AE7A2-F9B5-4A72-83C0-E97769DE9FF1.jpeg
    C42AE7A2-F9B5-4A72-83C0-E97769DE9FF1.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 54

baddave

would you not rather send that same pic and question to your vet??I promise ya that's what i'd do

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
My Brittany once came up with the bite mark like that and swelling under his ear. I took him to the vet and the vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and said he would be fine, that if the snake bite didn't kill him quicker than I had gotten him medical attention that it wasn't going to get much worse. The swelling under his throat wound up about half the size of a grapefruit and he was miserable for a couple of days but that was it.
Good luck with you girl. . .

Rabun

Thanks 1eye! I had another pooch that got struck pretty bad. Got her to the vet pretty quickly. Whole hind quarter was swelled big time. Antibiotic, pain killer and fluids and a night at the vet and she came out of it. Nothing like that with this wound. Not even sure it’s a strike but can’t figure what else it could be. If it was bothering her she would definitely let me know. Always heard of a dry bite and if that’s what it is she’s a lucky dog. She’s smart so hopefully she’ll learn from it.

turkeykirk

drahthaar

I am also not a vet but the greatest danger to dogs from a snake bite is the swelling, so if you arent facing that I think keeping it clean is the best thing. I personally use h2o2 for that job but antibiotic ointment may be fine as well.

baddave

My vet would tell me I had to bring him in and fork over a few hundred bucks.
that's interesting . i've been thru a few vets and with all of them i could call and get advice from them . honest advice . hope she's ok

baddave

The vet like that around here retired. The one who bought him out is super expensive.
is she ok?? i just called my vet and asked a question about mines anal gland being infected . she said to send a pic . w/that she'd look @ it and maybe a prescription the cost would be $25 for that and phone consultation

Rabun

Thanks guys! Yes pooch is fine and the area is healing nicely. I know for sure that if I went the route of sending pic to vet he would want her brought in, examination and probably a script for antibiotic. Not anti vet or cheap just practical. If I saw any degradation of the area or sign that it was beginning to bother her would bring her in in a heartbeat. I appreciate everyone’s concern and advice for sure(y)(y)(y)

Doghunter11

that's interesting . i've been thru a few vets and with all of them i could call and get advice from them . honest advice . hope she's ok
Consider yourself lucky. Most vets I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with won’t do anything without you coming in and at the least paying for the exam fee. I take good care of my dogs and I wouldn’t let one suffer to save 40$ but nowadays it seems like they come up with the need for multiple test and a crazy expensive treatment for everything.

Latest posts