**** Snake ****

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Yeah, just give little junior a bath with our pet 20' long Reticulated Python. The official longest snake in the world.

That kid is just a snack for that snake!!

Tommy

kcausey

Banned
Sapelo Island...

You beat me to it Matt...
My father let one have his main trail on the scouting day in october 2003 during the primitive weapons hunt. He said he'd guess the snake went between 6 1/2' and 7'. He also saw a Florida Pine Snake that he said would prolly be 9 feet or better, along with two gators going 5-7feet...all in one morning of scouting....and during scouting, no weapons allowed and no sticks big enough. he said the Eastern had 17 rattles and a button.

MCBUCK

Johns Mountain

I saw one very similar to the one in the last photo at Johns WMA in the late 80's. A man had shot it with his bow while bowhunting in the early season. I don't think that snake was more than about 6ft long but it was about as big around as my thigh. The best thing about that memory is that it was dead---and tasty :D

Kreed5821

Gone but not forgotten.
I've never seen a diamondback. Hope I see it if it's nearby but would rather it not be near. I've seen timber rattlers up here and they always seem too big in diameter for their length. Same for copperheads but I've never seen a big copperhead. Twenty inches to two foot is probably the biggest copperhead I've ever seen. My grandpa says that is about as big as they get. My great uncle killed a 4'6" timber rattler while deer hunting long ago. I remember thinking that it looked awful stubby. I don't get near legless lizards if I can help it!

bull0ne

Banned
Kreed5821 said:
I've never seen a diamondback. Hope I see it if it's nearby but would rather it not be near. I've seen timber rattlers up here and they always seem too big in diameter for their length. Same for copperheads but I've never seen a big copperhead. Twenty inches to two foot is probably the biggest copperhead I've ever seen. My grandpa says that is about as big as they get. My great uncle killed a 4'6" timber rattler while deer hunting long ago. I remember thinking that it looked awful stubby. I don't get near legless lizards if I can help it!

I have never seen a Diamondback any further north than southern Bleckley county,a timber rattler is usually a bottomland snake, at least thats where we find them.

Timberman

When I was livin in Tallahassee, a timber cruisin buddy who who lived in Whigham kept a wood box in his backyard full of straw. When it got cool, I'd tag along sometimes snake hunting with him. Armed with a roll of hard black pipe, a shovel, and a coke bottle of gas, he'd set off across the sandhills and gas likely gopher holes. Jam that hard pipe down in there good and get him to buzzing then you'd know he's there . Then just enough gas down the pipe to make him want to come out. Too much and you had to dig him out. Then into a pillowcase and in the box in the backyard. By the time roundup came around he'd have that box full. That was over fifteen years ago and I don't think it's the right thing to do, but that's how it's done.

Never seen one over 5 ft. The creepiest part was he had younguns and dogs and a wife everything and that box full of live rattlesnakes was in the backyard with just a padlock on it.

bull0ne

Banned
Timberman said:
When I was livin in Tallahassee, a timber cruisin buddy who who lived in Whigham kept a wood box in his backyard full of straw. When it got cool, I'd tag along sometimes snake hunting with him. Armed with a roll of hard black pipe, a shovel, and a coke bottle of gas, he'd set off across the sandhills and gas likely gopher holes. Jam that hard pipe down in there good and get him to buzzing then you'd know he's there . Then just enough gas down the pipe to make him want to come out. Too much and you had to dig him out. Then into a pillowcase and in the box in the backyard. By the time roundup came around he'd have that box full. That was over fifteen years ago and I don't think it's the right thing to do, but that's how it's done.

Never seen one over 5 ft. The creepiest part was he had younguns and dogs and a wife everything and that box full of live rattlesnakes was in the backyard with just a padlock on it.

I went in a snake hunters house who had them in the kitchen in a plywood box :hair:

I had to look at them, at his request,that smell really brings back memories, if you have ever smelled rattlesnake musk you never forget it. :eek:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
just got back from workin on Fort Stewart..........

saw two nice Diamondbacks, and three Eastern Indigo snakes...........beautiful animals!! :) :)

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Two snake's I've never laid eye's on live. Only seen one Eastern and it was dead on the side of the rd just outside Sylvania.

I'd love to catch an Indigo Snake. I think they are the prettiest snake in Georgia. There color changes in the sunlight from black to indigo.

Tommy

Killdee

Heres the famous Black guy with the giant snake pic,Ive had this pic for 25-30yrs.

Attachments

• rattlesnake.jpg
    rattlesnake.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 169

Killdee

Here are a couple of shots of a 5-1/2' D back killed on the Talbot/Taylor co line in 1981.While I hunted there I saw only 2 other Dbacks but quite a few timber or canebrake rattlers,and a couple of cottonmouths.Of all of them the cottonmouths skeered me the most.Larry Beavers who is holding the snake is 6'240#,never hunted the trac where he killed the snake again.
KD

Attachments

• diamondbackrsz.jpg
    diamondbackrsz.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 177

MAC-DC

Killdee said:
Heres the famous Black guy with the giant snake pic,Ive had this pic for 25-30yrs.

That looks like the one I saw that was supposed to be from the Disney property. There is another one where the guy is holding it above his head and it almost touches the ground on both sides. Thats the one I never believed.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Killdee said:

This one was researched by a magazine that's produced in central Ga (around Perry). If memory serves me correctly they said the snake was around 6ft long and the angle of photo gave the illusion that it was larger. Seems like the guy was from Gray or somewhere around there.

How2fish

Woodsman said:
I was doing some work around Jackson Lake Ga. We went to the local store on Hwy 212 and there was an news paper clipping hanging on the "Trophy Board". It showed a black man holding up a big rattler. The story said it was over ten feet in length. :hair: :hair: That was the biggist snake!! Man it looked scary. The store is at 212 an 11 just down from the Turtle Cove area of Jackson Lake.

I was in a dinner in Warrenton last season...forgot the name iof it...might be Judy's?? Anyway there was a picture of a black man with a huge rattler and the caption said 10 ft....there was another picture of a snake said to be 11ft long and killed in Warren Co...I think the 1st pic must be of the snake in Woodsman quote.....anyway 2 DARN bigguns :hair: