Snakes??

chrislibby88

What is every ones thoughts on Muck boots do you think a snake can bite you through them? Im aware Muck boots aren't the best choice in the mountains.
I’ve worn rubber boots in the mountains before, they are ok walking less than a mile total, but past that get some better boots. They offer no support side hilling, they usually have thicker soles and taller heels, so it’s easy to roll an ankle, and the fit is usually slightly on the sloppy side, so your foot slides out of the heel cup going downhill and you get a lot of friction on your toes. They are basically blister machines in steep country, especially down billing. Not sure if a snake can bite through them or not, I would say probably not on the rubber lower, but the neoprene upper they certainly could. Y’all ever seen Turtle Skin snake gaiters? I would wear those and some stiffer mountain boots in the hills.

The mtn man

Those of you that say you have never had a snake encounter in the ga mtns. You have had plentyof encounters, you just dont know it, if your truly in the woods.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you that say you have never had a snake encounter in the ga mtns. You have had plentyof encounters, you just dont know it, if your truly in the woods.
I have had thousands of snake encounters. I said that I have just have never had a problem from any of them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What will make you take some deep contemplation is when you step down, experience that unmistakable feel of one underfoot, look down, and see about 2 feet of snake and rattles coming out from one side of your boot, and nearly 3 more feet of snake coming out from under the other side of your boot.

fatback

What will make you take some deep contemplation is when you step down, experience that unmistakable feel of one underfoot, look down, and see about 2 feet of snake and rattles coming out from one side of your boot, and nearly 3 more feet of snake coming out from under the other side of your boot.
YIKES!!! That would give a fella a heartastroke if he wasn’t careful.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My memory is not what it use to be but I read somewhere that cottonmouths were a lowland species that generally were seen from an elevation of 400’ above sea level and below that.

SouthGa Fisher

I've ran into my fair share of all of them down in SOWEGA.

There is an unmistakable "roll" feeling and you know what it is exactly when it happens. I can say I was truly lucky to have those old school plastic chaps on on the first one when I was in my early teens. Felt like a sledgehammer hit me on the shin. My dad got hit by one with the same chaps on years before that.

Second one, no boots, no chaps. I can't explain except I had someone watching over me that day.

trial&error

I'm so old and out of shape that I move slow enough to watch out for ants in the mountains. If you want them wear them. I wear them in the flat lands for sure.