So how more so than why do folks buy these new pickups?

killerv

5 year used to be the standard long-term loan. These days, 6,7 and even 8 years aren't uncommon. That $60k truck probably ends up costing $100k by then.

folks these days only worry about the monthly payment.

Yeah, you can find 0% up to 72 months, but you wont get all the rebates along with it. Some times you save more money taking the 1.9 percent finance and all the rebates, then just paying it off as quickly as possible. My friends do this but they have the money to pay it off within a couple months.

killerv

I just went through all this having not bought a truck since 2006. New prices will hurt your feelings. The difference between new and used just isn't that much unless you are looking at something with high mileage. But I am one that will run one until is just not economical to keep it. I looked at chevys, fords, gmc....would have entertained the Tundra but gas mileage seems to be the worst in those.

A friend of mine with a 760 credit score couldn't get the 0% at ford, they told him you had to be 780 or higher.

Tight Lines

You think trucks are bad, go look at the new Yukon XL or Suburban with the 6.2l engine! We buy both new and used but I normally buy me used or demo, and buy my wife new...but not often...drove the last MDX 13 years and 140K miles...just became too expensive to maintain at that age...bought a new Subaru with 1.9% and making double payments and will pay it off in about 1.3 years...

Plan to keep driving my paid for 2011 Yukon XL until I can find a deal on a 6.2l Suburban...

I live at the intersection of Brookhaven, Buckhead, and Sandy Springs...so I see these families with $1.2MM houses and 2 new BMWs or MBs in the driveway around here...or Range Rovers...

America is a consumption economy, fueled by a payment mentality...

killerv

I looked at the 6.2 really hard...but you have to run premium in them. 6.2 is a 2500 dollar option. But if you can drop 75k on a vehicle, whats the extra 75cents a gallon for premium.

Taco4x4

Drive a 1992 Toyota 4x4, and have a 2001 F250, 7.3 diesel, to pull my 2005 fifth wheel. All bought used. Wife drives a 2013 suburban, only because her 2003 suburban, in immaculate condition, was totaled in a high speed rear end crash. She was the one rear ended. Bought it in 18. I can’t swing a new vehicle payment period. I don’t get it either.
Dude if you ever want to sell that Yota please give me first shot. I had a 92 bought new for 13 grand and drove it for 15 years and totaled it in an accident. 22RE 5 speed I really miss that little truck. Let me know :)

ShortMagFan

Get myself One of those new new trucks every 4-5 years then trade on a new one. Have never financed a car. When I trade on a new one I generally get about 60pct of the value of the new one

Work hard, save your sheckles and you can spend your money however you’d like

Havana Dude

Dude if you ever want to sell that Yota please give me first shot. I had a 92 bought new for 13 grand and drove it for 15 years and totaled it in an accident. 22RE 5 speed I really miss that little truck. Let me know :)

Will try and remember that.

bullgator

I bought a ‘19 High Country with the 6.2L in April of ‘19. They gave an extra $9000 off to finance thru GMAC. All I had to do was stay with them 4 months and then got new vehicle financing thru a local credit union at 3.5%. I retired this April and sold my old house in May. Truck is paid off as is my wife’s ‘16 Q5. We also pay extra every month and that helps with credit scores.

hipster dufus

Im actively truck shopping now. No fun at all. Low inventory. No bargains.i buy new and keep em till they die. Not much difference in price between new n used unless it is high miles used. All the finance guys say buy used, but if u can find a 2 or 3, even 4 yo vehicle w lo miles u gon pay a premium.

hipster dufus

I liken it to a financial advisor, who sits behind a desk, telling u till work till full retirement age. He isnt crawling around machinery outdoors or indoors w bad eyes and muscle aches.

Waddams

Mine's a 2003 Nissan Frontier. It's in great shape, I bought it used about 3 years ago for $6000 cash. I recently put new tires on it. The place tried to find other things to say "you need this, you need that" - they came up with nothing. It's turning out to be a very wise purchase. Insurance on it is dirt cheap too. Add a 250 lbs of sandbags over the rear axles and it's been able to negotiate it's way through some pretty nasty mud bogs as well.

It's hauled several mulch and slate chip loads to the house so we could do our backyard landscaping the way we wanted it, and somehow we always come up with truck loads of crap to haul to metal recycling, electrical recycling, the dump, etc. I'm getting much more than my $6000 value out of it.

Can't say I wouldn't buy a new vehicle again, but at the moment, if I had to be looking for one, I'd be looking in the used category and I'd be looking at every used car review website looking for which ones have bad histories so I know what to avoid.

rattlesnake1

I bought a ‘19 High Country with the 6.2L in April of ‘19. They gave an extra $9000 off to finance thru GMAC. All I had to do was stay with them 4 months and then got new vehicle financing thru a local credit union at 3.5%. I retired this April and sold my old house in May. Truck is paid off as is my wife’s ‘16 Q5. We also pay extra every month and that helps with credit scores.
I have been looking at the 6.2 , is there a big power difference over the 5.3? does it tow good? what kind of fuel mileage? thanks.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !

I bought a '92 Extra Cab 4x4 22RE 5speed new. Sold it in '97.

My sister bought the same truck. She wants me to come get it but she lives in San Angelo, Tx. Too far to drive for me to drive, even for a free truck.

bullgator

I have been looking at the 6.2 , is there a big power difference over the 5.3? does it tow good? what kind of fuel mileage? thanks.
Can’t answer the towing question because all I pull is a 6 x 10 utility trailer with a mower or UTV........nothing big.
The 6.2 accelerates much better than the 5.3 from a dead stop or passing. On the open road I get better mileage from the 6.2 but my old 5.3 might have the edge in stop and go areas. You pay for a heavy foot on the 6.2 but if you can resist that I actually get a little better mileage overall.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
It blows my mind how we continue selling trucks and the large SUVs with the price now and there's definitely no end in sight.

But we keep on selling cause folks keep on buying. GM just had it's best Tahoe sales in a September since 2004.

Most of the people buying them are financing for 72-84 months and the majority are not rich. Our average TRUCK buyer that finances is making 60-75k a year with a household income between 100-130k.

I am in farm country and we also have a large number of farmers who are generally cash buyers.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I buy new ones because i generally put 60k+ miles a year on one. If I buy a used truck with 85k miles on it, I'm gonna double that number in 18 months. My last 4 trucks were an '06- traded for a '15 with 554k on it. '15-traded for a '18 with 212k on it. My '18 was totaled in Dec'19 with 85k on it. We shall see how many I can put on the '19 before it gives up the ghost!

livetohunt

Debt and interest will eat you alive, if you don`t keep it under control.

Especially on high dollar loans like a house or buying land. If you look at how much interest people pay on a 30 year home loan it is staggering.