So how more so than why do folks buy these new pickups?

Tight Lines

Good looking ride.
I am thinking of buying a "beater" to use for hunting and fishing trips.
Thanks. It's not a beater really. 52K on it, always garaged, fully loaded leather etc. My dad takes great care of cars. I bought the last one from him too...his '96 Chevy single cab short bed when he bought this one in 2005. It had 50K on it when I bought it. Should have kept it but sold it be cause we had kids and car seats don't do well in a single cab pickup! I am going to level this one and replace the tires with something more aggressive at some point but it will last the rest of my hunting life I'd guess...

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Thanks. It's not a beater really. 52K on it, always garaged, fully loaded leather etc. My dad takes great care of cars. I bought the last one from him too...his '96 Chevy single cab short bed when he bought this one in 2005. It had 50K on it when I bought it. Should have kept it but sold it be cause we had kids and car seats don't do well in a single cab pickup! I am going to level this one and replace the tires with something more aggressive at some point but it will last the rest of my hunting life I'd guess...

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your truck as a beater...just what I was looking for to run around on dirt roads and such, to keep the wear and tear off my "newer" truck.

I want a late 90's to mid 2000's truck.

7 point

This is the new normal. The manufacturers are going to keep inventories low and prices high. They've publicly said that. So used car prices are going to increase, and new car prices are going to stay at MSRP. My credit union has a car buying service, 2 full time people, and they are saying that MSRP is the new normal. Above MSRP on in demand models isn't out of the question.

I just bought a "new" 2005 NISSAN TITAN from my Dad because I am not going to pay the new prices. It's only got 52K on it...and 1K of those was me driving it home from Kansas to Georgia yesterday.
I bought a 04 f150 with 45k miles on it garage kept from my mother.

Tight Lines

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your truck as a beater...just what I was looking for to run around on dirt roads and such, to keep the wear and tear off my "newer" truck.

I want a late 90's to mid 2000's truck.
No offense taken at all...at it's age, you'd think it would be a beater...but it is pristine condition...

7 point

I paid 10k for 4 years ago .still better than buying a new one.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've been shopping for a used Nissan Frontier 4x4 SV, one owner, no accidents. Found a few that looked good, but the prices are too high for the mileage, 2015 or newer. And nobody will haggle price these days. Some are paying extreme prices for used vehicles to resale. I hope they have to eat them. I own a 2011 with only 115K on it, 4x4 sv towing package etc. Very nice ride and great in the woods.

Attachments

• Culvertapr.JPG
    Culvertapr.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 7

Big7

The Oracle
Last one I bought new was. Ram 1500 Sport.
New in 1998.
Lost to fire in 2018. Running like a champ.

It had all the bells and whistles.
A little under 25k with 2/10th of a mile on it.

I won't be buying a new one prob ever again.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Only folks I see buying new vehicles around here are the farmers who claim to go broke every year. Maybe that's why?....lol

menhadenman

Owning a business makes a big difference. I lived under the poverty line until my 30s and qualified as an orphan when I went to school. Drive a high roller Duramax these days but sure miss my old 5 speed W/T with no AC in the low country, pulling gillnets and living in a shack!

Buford_Dawg

Went 2 weeks back to look at a new 2021 Chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4, liked it, had brief discussion with Sales Manager, truck was their custom model, on the low end of their 1500 line, but it has about what I want, I would add leather seating. Sticker was like 46k, dealer added 5k premium mark up as they called it so we at 51k for one of their cheapest levels. I loved the truck just couldn't see myself paying that for a basic truck. I'll keep driving my 2104 truck until things come down or dealers at minimum stop adding these crazy "premium" fees. I can understand paying MSRP in this economy, but adding that much to it doesnt work for me. And it may never come back down, who kjnows, this may be the new norm if you want to buy a new truck.

killerv

Only folks I see buying new vehicles around here are the farmers who claim to go broke every year. Maybe that's why?....lol

Write offs, and after a few years when the write off gets less and less due to depreciation, go out a get a new one and start the process all over again.

.... and they spend all their money at gun shops. I knew a dairy farmer, nice as can be, but always complained about being broke and farming not making him any money, but always had nice accessorized trucks, restored old broncos, and always buying the newest deer rifle and scopes, sending them off to be accurized, hunting trips out of country, etc....he was broke though.

Last edited:

killerv

Went 2 weeks back to look at a new 2021 Chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4, liked it, had brief discussion with Sales Manager, truck was their custom model, on the low end of their 1500 line, but it has about what I want, I would add leather seating. Sticker was like 46k, dealer added 5k premium mark up as they called it so we at 51k for one of their cheapest levels. I loved the truck just couldn't see myself paying that for a basic truck. I'll keep driving my 2104 truck until things come down or dealers at minimum stop adding these crazy "premium" fees. I can understand paying MSRP in this economy, but adding that much to it doesnt work for me. And it may never come back down, who kjnows, this may be the new norm if you want to buy a new truck.

Wasnt Woody Folsum was it? Buddy needed a basic work truck and they added 5k over sticker, he told them to shove it. This was in the last week or two.

GM just sent out a letter to dealers concerning the crazy markups and that its against their contracts between them and the dealership. The new Corvettes are seeing 25k markups.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Any You Goes left? Alstate motor scooters?