So I built a vanity and need help stain/paint to age its look

j_seph

I talked with someone and they told me to use a dark stain, let dry then put coat of paint over it. Let that dry then sand. We tried that on a piece of scrap using a dark stain as was told. Well I went to hand sanding with 600 grit and the results were not that great. Hard to even cut a dent into the paint and when you did you ended up with specks of bare wood not the dark stained wood. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

PCNative

Try putting on a coat of white Kilz and let it dry then put a coat of dark brown (spray can will work) then apply your final color. Be sure and let each coat dry well, then sand random spots where wear would occur. I've done this many times on woodworking projects and it works very well. I usually apply some kind of clear-coat after sanding to protect the finish.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Don't stain it first. Spray one coat and burn through that with an orbital or jitter bug on its edge. Stain the area you burn through and clear it when finished. I use to do it all the time on cabinets but I was using lacquer

j_seph

Other method I just found was to stain with dark walnut stain. Let dry, then using white paint mixed with equal water, using long brush stokes to apply. let sit a few seconds then rub down with lint free rag. This is the look we are going for.
How-to-Create-a-Weathered-Wood-Gray-Finish-pin-1.jpg

https://angelamariemade.com/2016/11/how-to-create-a-weathered-wood-gray-finish/

Cmp1

BANNED
I've never painted or stained anything exceot for one thing I built,,,,I leave natural and laq it,,,,

QuakerBoy

600 grit is pretty fine paper. I'd start with 220 and see if you can cut it

Madman

Don't stain it first. Spray one coat and burn through that with an orbital or jitter bug on its edge. Stain the area you burn through and clear it when finished. I use to do it all the time on cabinets but I was using lacquer
My wife paints the piece then sands some and stains until she gets the effect.