So Just How Bad Is The Coyote Problem, I'tell You

Wifeshusband

My landowner has allowed a landowner across the road to trap coyotes on his property after this past deer season. That is good, as I hunt this particular 400 acre parcel of land in Chattahoochee County. The trapper (one man) across the road has about 100 to 200 acres. In just three months this year he has caught 19 yotes.

I don't know much about trapping, but 19 yotes in three months on about 600 acres seems high to me. I don't know if you can take those numbers and extrapolate anything about the problem in Georgia, but it's awakened my landowner, who's seen his turkeys just about all disappear. I have warned him years ago that he was covered up with yotes.

I saw my first coyote on this property in 1972 and it looked like the kind out west. But the ones today are bigger, meaner, and stronger. As I mentioned in a post last year there is a YouTube video of a GA hunter who was knocked down few years ago and mauled by several. If he had not found his gun to fire a shot he said he would have been torn to shreds. A guest on my property was completely surrounded by a pack several years ago in the dark when he descended his stand. He strobed them off with his flashlight.

In this month's Deer & Deer Hunting magazine there is awful trail cam footage a hunter captured of a huge buck being taken down by several coyotes. Why the buck didn't put up much of a fight is a mystery. It is speculated that he was chased for miles and winded. The yotes tore at his rear, and then his under belly, eating him alive.

I don't think the DNR has a true grasp of the seriousness of the problem. Their bounty program apparently wasn't a success. But I am glad to see private landowners take matters into their own hands and trap them. You can never get rid of all of them, but you can put a dent into a local population. I am sure (and thankful) that this trapper has removed so many, thus ensuring the survival of many fawns and some adult deer, and turkeys, too.

crackerdave

They are a menace,for sure.
They don't have anything but us humans to keep the population down,and they are multiplying rapidly.

rstallings1979

My landowner has allowed a landowner across the road to trap coyotes on his property after this past deer season. That is good, as I hunt this particular 400 acre parcel of land in Chattahoochee County. The trapper (one man) across the road has about 100 to 200 acres. In just three months this year he has caught 19 yotes.

I don't know much about trapping, but 19 yotes in three months on about 600 acres seems high to me. I don't know if you can take those numbers and extrapolate anything about the problem in Georgia, but it's awakened my landowner, who's seen his turkeys just about all disappear. I have warned him years ago that he was covered up with yotes.

I saw my first coyote on this property in 1972 and it looked like the kind out west. But the ones today are bigger, meaner, and stronger. As I mentioned in a post last year there is a YouTube video of a GA hunter who was knocked down few years ago and mauled by several. If he had not found his gun to fire a shot he said he would have been torn to shreds. A guest on my property was completely surrounded by a pack several years ago in the dark when he descended his stand. He strobed them off with his flashlight.

In this month's Deer & Deer Hunting magazine there is awful trail cam footage a hunter captured of a huge buck being taken down by several coyotes. Why the buck didn't put up much of a fight is a mystery. It is speculated that he was chased for miles and winded. The yotes tore at his rear, and then his under belly, eating him alive.

I don't think the DNR has a true grasp of the seriousness of the problem. Their bounty program apparently wasn't a success. But I am glad to see private landowners take matters into their own hands and trap them. You can never get rid of all of them, but you can put a dent into a local population. I am sure (and thankful) that this trapper has removed so many, thus ensuring the survival of many fawns and some adult deer, and turkeys, too.
Sounds like a good trapper as well!!!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

I think they have a pretty good grasp on the impact of coyotes on the deer population and it's manageable.

Wifeshusband

They called it something else, I believe the "challenger program." Apparently "bounty" is too harsh for the public. You had to kill a certain number to win a prize, not money. I don't know if they still have it. From what I heard it did not draw a lot of interest.

One thing the DNR could do is to work with private landowners in promoting seasonal trapping, maybe throw in some financial incentives for paid trappers. What goes around comes around. Clearing out some packs on private properties near WMA's is not only going to improve game populations on private properties, but also nearby WMA's.

Like I said, I'm so thankful I have a landowner who is taking a pro-active approach that is going to help the local deer and turkey populations in the near future.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
They called it something else, I believe the "challenger program." Apparently "bounty" is too harsh for the public. You had to kill a certain number to win a prize, not money. I don't know if they still have it. From what I heard it did not draw a lot of interest.

One thing the DNR could do is to work with private landowners in promoting seasonal trapping, maybe throw in some financial incentives for paid trappers. What goes around comes around. Clearing out some packs on private properties near WMA's is not only going to improve game populations on private properties, but also nearby WMA's.

Like I said, I'm so thankful I have a landowner who is taking a pro-active approach that is going to help the local deer and turkey populations in the near future.

The coyote challenge was an awareness program to remind hunters that they have plenty of options to control coyotes, no closed season and no bag limits. Meanwhile, doe days were adjusted to mitigate the effects of coyotes on fawns. You can kill them all you want, but the doe days had far more impact on improving the deer population than the coyote challenge. Predator removal is really hit or miss on effectiveness, but retaining the breeding portion of a population is far more impactful.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Y'all just a hateful bunch. Coyotes can be very loving if you'd just give them a chance. I owned one as a pet for about a day, his name was Wile E. He was just a sweet as he could be, especially with my cat. His name is Slash, and he and Wile E got along great for the short period of time I had him. At least I thought. Just look at this sweet video of the two of them playing together in my living room. Sadly, a day after I took this video, Wile E was savagely attacked and mauled to death by Slash. All I found were bits and pieces of Wile E buried in Slash's litter box. To his day, I don't know where the rest of his body went.

:cry:

reelmn

I heard that if soak sponges in cooking grease and throw them out the yotes will eat them and die. I dont see how a sponge with grease on it would kill a yote.

MYRX

Years ago I was in a club that made a habit of throwing deer remains in a certain area and that club had a huge coyote problem. You could hear them every morning and evening and often come face to face getting to your hunting stand. Wonder why lol. I am in two different clubs now that do not allow gutting in the field. We properly dispose of the deer too. I rarely hear or see a coyote. Maybe twice a year a member see's a coyote wandering along and we are near the Broad River. On the other hand hogs are our problem now and especially since baiting with corn is legal. But that is another topic.

Hillbilly stalker

I heard that if soak sponges in cooking grease and throw them out the yotes will eat them and die. I dont see how a sponge with grease on it would kill a yote.
It swells up in their stomach and causes septic poisoning. They can’t have a bowel movement. The problem with it is 1. It’s illegal and 2. It kills everything that eats it, coon, possum, bobcat, dogs, cats and likely birds. It’s a slow torturous death and cruel.

treemanjohn

Banned
Nature has a way of sorting things out. There's more coyotes because theres more food to support them. Ive heard 100s of times how yotes weren't here until the last 20 or so years. They've always been here, and I've seen them since the late 70s as a kid. Bounties don't work and never have worked. Its another feel good government hand out

Georgia had a terrible deer and wildlife population back then. Well our wildlife are doing much better, so more coyotes. Any longtime and educated trapper will tell you in a second that they catch the dumb animals. The old and smart ones rarely get hooked

Doug B.

Years ago I was in a club that made a habit of throwing deer remains in a certain area and that club had a huge coyote problem. You could hear them every morning and evening and often come face to face getting to your hunting stand. Wonder why lol. I am in two different clubs now that do not allow gutting in the field. We properly dispose of the deer too. I rarely hear or see a coyote. Maybe twice a year a member see's a coyote wandering along and we are near the Broad River. On the other hand hogs are our problem now and especially since baiting with corn is legal. But that is another topic.
Gutting deer in the woods does not cause problems with predators. The buzzards, crows, rats, possums, skunks, etc. will most likely have that cleaned up before the next morning before coyotes ever have a chance at it. It's a random gut pile. Critters die in the woods all the time.

Having a designated place to dump all your deer relics could work to your advantage if you would then trap the coyotes or get someone to trap them while the coyotes are visiting that area.