So Just How Bad Is The Coyote Problem, I'tell You

reelmn

A neighbor trapped 16 in a matter of 3 months a few years ago off his place and mine, about 60 ac total. Now its just a few here or there. He traps year round but only gets maybe 5+- a year off our places. He has stated calling and hunting them instead of trapping. Still a few but nothing like it was.
I do need to get a hold on the coon issue though.

Not a good idea at all!!!!!
I dont do that i was just asking cause some one had told me that

Tight Lines

This is one of the better articles I've read on the topic of eastern coyotes and their origins. They vary depending on location, which would make sense...it's also clear that interbreeding hasn't happened in quite some time...

https://theconversation.com/yes-eastern-coyotes-are-hybrids-but-the-coywolf-is-not-a-thing-50368

"We can estimate the date of the most recent hybridization events that created eastern coyotes by analyzing their genetic structure. Their DNA show that about 100 years ago, coyotes mated with wolves, and about 50 years ago with dogs. A century ago, wolf populations in the Great Lakes were at their nadir, living at such low density that some reproductive animals probably couldn’t find another wolf mate, and had to settle with a coyote.

The more recent date for the dog hybridization likely results from a cross-species breeding event at the very leading edge of the wave of colonizing coyotes in the east, possibly after a few females first spanned the St Lawrence seaway into upstate New York, where they would have encountered abundant feral dogs, but no other coyotes."

buckpasser

This is one of the better articles I've read on the topic of eastern coyotes and their origins. They vary depending on location, which would make sense...it's also clear that interbreeding hasn't happened in quite some time...

https://theconversation.com/yes-eastern-coyotes-are-hybrids-but-the-coywolf-is-not-a-thing-50368

"We can estimate the date of the most recent hybridization events that created eastern coyotes by analyzing their genetic structure. Their DNA show that about 100 years ago, coyotes mated with wolves, and about 50 years ago with dogs. A century ago, wolf populations in the Great Lakes were at their nadir, living at such low density that some reproductive animals probably couldn’t find another wolf mate, and had to settle with a coyote.

The more recent date for the dog hybridization likely results from a cross-species breeding event at the very leading edge of the wave of colonizing coyotes in the east, possibly after a few females first spanned the St Lawrence seaway into upstate New York, where they would have encountered abundant feral dogs, but no other coyotes."

That theory actually makes perfect sense to me. That said, I call bull on their supposed genetic testing being able to tell that tale! Scientists are so exactly accurate when they can’t be proven wrong. They can tell us exactly what the effects of human caused climate change will be eighty three years from now, but they’re not sure if it’ll be raining tomorrow or which way that hurricane in the gulf is headed...

Bowyer29

That theory actually makes perfect sense to me. That said, I call bull on their supposed genetic testing being able to tell that tale! Scientists are so exactly accurate when they can’t be proven wrong. They can tell us exactly what the effects of human caused climate change will be eighty three years from now, but they’re not sure if it’ll be raining tomorrow or which way that hurricane in the gulf is headed...
Exactly! Scientists told us in the 70's we were out of oil, as an example. They were wrong.
Again.

Gbr5pb

It swells up in their stomach and causes septic poisoning. They can’t have a bowel movement. The problem with it is 1. It’s illegal and 2. It kills everything that eats it, coon, possum, bobcat, dogs, cats and likely birds. It’s a slow torturous death and cruel.
Reminds me of a method that involved a very sharp worm hook and a hotdog! Never used it but was told it would work

across the river

across the river

I'm wondering when I'm going to see a coyote with poodle hair.

Years ago someone killed a “coyote” and posted it on here that wasn’t far from it and looked like it had just gotten off of
someone’s leash.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I've got some nice colorful yotes on camera the last year. One black one with the little white chest patch, and some with lots of red and black.