Soil moisture

Mackie889

Just curious ... how much soil moisture is required to germinate our food plot seeds? I planted a mix of a Fall blend and iron / clay peas. When I planted a week and half ago, the soil moisture was 12-14% and is now 6% (based on the GeorgiaWeather.net website). It hasn't rained since I planted. Should I expect some green on the plot when I go up next week?

Whitefeather

Management Material
Just curious ... how much soil moisture is required to germinate our food plot seeds? I planted a mix of a Fall blend and iron / clay peas. When I planted a week and half ago, the soil moisture was 12-14% and is now 6% (based on the GeorgiaWeather.net website). It hasn't rained since I planted. Should I expect some green on the plot when I go up next week?
Probably not. If you have had some heavy dews you might see some in the low spots but not likely much going to be sprouted.

buckpasser

In my experience you will likely see some peas up with that.

buckpasser

Thanks for the reply ... I hope you are right. I'd like to bow hunt a particular spot that I planted. ? So what is BB1 productions?

…I got labeled for saying I was starting “bread bag 1” studios, a tame neighborhood duck hunting show that would rival Seek1, the tame neighborhood deer hunting show…

Mackie889

In my experience you will likely see some peas up with that.
This exactly ... just got up to the farm and have a bunch of peas about 3-4" tall as well as some other plants that I can't identify, all popping up. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does w/ absolutely no rain. I think what is helping is that it is planted North and South along some thick brush. It doesn't get sun until about noon. Must be the dew and lowland soil?

buckpasser

This exactly ... just got up to the farm and have a bunch of peas about 3-4" tall as well as some other plants that I can't identify, all popping up. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does w/ absolutely no rain. I think what is helping is that it is planted North and South along some thick brush. It doesn't get sun until about noon. Must be the dew and lowland soil?

Good deal! Probably just held enough. I hit a patch yesterday that was done the first time about when you planted your plot and it had some decent color still. I’m sure it’s dry as a popcorn toot now though! I’m still waiting for a better chance.