Solo grouse hunt

Wanted to get the group thoughts on a solo grouse hunt in the middle of the week. Will have my dog and plenty of orange on. Plan to hit a few spots in N. Ga.

I realize this ultimately is a personal judgment but a little spooked by walking around in the woods by myself, orange or not, during deer season. Thoughts from the group?

coachdoug87

Personally, I would check the WMA deer days to see which ones are allowing deer hunting on the days you plan to go. Most mountain WMAs only have A handful of deer days. You would not be allowed to hunt them on deer days anyway. As far as the National Forest goes, I would not hunt grouse hunt there when gun deer season is in. All this is just my personal opinion.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wanted to get the group thoughts on a solo grouse hunt in the middle of the week. Will have my dog and plenty of orange on. Plan to hit a few spots in N. Ga.

I realize this ultimately is a personal judgment but a little spooked by walking around in the woods by myself, orange or not, during deer season. Thoughts from the group?
Public land isn't there just for deer hunters, as much as they seem to think it is. It is there for you to grouse hunt, also. You own it.

tucker80

Go hunt and have a good time while you're at it!
I second a vest on your dog during deer season. I run a bell on mine too.

Good luck, those grouse will test your legs in southern Appalachia! To me, they're worth every step.

Wire Nut

I walk forest service roads with my dog during deer season looking for a grouse. My dog is black so I make sure she has some orange on as well. That being said where I go I never see anyone else but I still don’t take any chances

NCMTNHunter

Also, you are safer grouse hunting by yourself than with a group. You or your dog is way more likely to get shot by someone hunting with you than by a deer hunter.