Some SW Georgia finds

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lots of kirks, Savannah Rivers, One Clay and a Hernando. Early Archaic, Late Archaic and Woodland for sure. Must have been a great camp site for several periods. Water and chert quarry site nearby.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
There was a Hernando site across the creek. I was fortunate to find several before pasture grass took over. This one has one barb missing. Notching sometimes got those barbs. The maker just worked it on off to a nice shoulder. Local chert.

Attachments

• Hernandolow ear.jpg
    Hernandolow ear.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 28

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Found Hernando's scattered around in the area, but not a huge amount. I like those found, they were usually good stone and serrated. Found this one while checking out some deer tracks.

Attachments

• Hernandosixrd.jpg
    Hernandosixrd.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 25

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Also found a few Bolens in the area while hog hunting. Hogs rooted some up. And a few Abbeys.

Attachments

• Bolenhoghunting.jpg
    Bolenhoghunting.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 40
  • bbolen.jpg
    bbolen.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 41
  • abbey.jpg
    abbey.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 40

ArmyTaco

Man I would love to hunt down there some day. We don't find many of the detailed points up in mid Ga. I have a few nice ones, but nothing like south GA and Southwest GA produce. Of course nobody wants to take anyone hunting these days and I understand why. I have a great spot in mid GA if you're up this way any during the next few months. Come deer season its off limits though. It has 2 creeks and a quarry site.

mike1225

You must have spent as many hours looking for arrow heads as you did working. That's an unreal amount of great finds.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Just a few found in an area of about 15 yards square. Kirks of all shapes, and the large chert piece they were getting their blanks from. Early Co. Ga.

Son, when you say found in 15 sq. yds, do you mean stumbled upon or you actively dug that 15 sq. yds? Your collection is unreal. I found all of mine while doing other things. I assume you were taking time to hunt them? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what in the world are you going to do with this amazing collection? Grandchaps maybe?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Son, when you say found in 15 sq. yds, do you mean stumbled upon or you actively dug that 15 sq. yds? Your collection is unreal. I found all of mine while doing other things. I assume you were taking time to hunt them? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what in the world are you going to do with this amazing collection? Grandchaps maybe?

Managing a farm, we had a sand pit where we got the dirt to build the roads up. Wasn't a large pit, but after a few pans of dirt were removed, we were finding points all up and down the road we were raising. I then excavated the dirt before removing anymore dirt. Heavy rains exposed even more. I really believe the sand pit was just a small area of a huge site that took in about two acres or more. Most of the area was in planted pines, had a house on it etc. So none of that area was examined. Just glad I could save the artifacts that was in the sand removed. I had been in Kirk sites before, all but this one was multicultural. Meaning folks had lived on the same spot for many years, maybe thousands. Being a pure Kirk site, It taught me more than I had ever known about the kirk people. Their point forms, tools such as drills, hammerstones etc. All being in the same level, it looked like those people made many forms during the same period. Maybe different ideas, or for different uses. I have family members who are interested. And a daughter who collects, and is an anthropologist.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The large translucent Kirk shown in a previous post was found at the carport of the farm house when a storm blew a china berry tree down. When the roots popped out of the ground, it brought the point up. Just a gift ya might say.
Here's a photo of a large Florida Kirk. We find Kirks all over the southeast.

Attachments

• awesomekirk .jpg
    awesomekirk .jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 10