Something is aerating my yard...

CamoDawg85

Over the past 3-4 weeks it has been getting worse. It's especially prominent around the base of trees that have mulch, but the main yard where there are no trees is feeling it also. I think it's an armadillo but don't have any proof. Something has been digging a hole to China underneath one of my large Cypress trees and I think whatever it is has been living there.

Anybody have ideas as to what it might be? If I just wanted to trap it and relocate (not dispatch it), do I still need a trapping license?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

jakebuddy

Armadillo most likely don’t relocate there are plenty. Walk around late at night with flashlight shoot and dispose.

CamoDawg85

Jake - thanks for the feedback. My work schedule usually has me in bed by 8:30-9pm most nights and I try to follow the same routine on the weekends. What do dillars like to eat if I were to put something in a trap?

Stonewall 2

My dad had some at his place and bought a trap at Tractor Supply and the first one he caught tore the trap up. He ended up dispatching with a .22 getting up in the middle of the night. He even ordered a laser for the .22 because he was having trouble seeing the sights at night

ryanh487

Armadillo for sure. Sounds like what they do to our food plots, and I've seen 'em do it. Sniff, find something that smells good, dig up the turf til they can grab it, move on. Looks like a bad golfer played through the field.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Best way to catch a dilller in a box trap is to make a big V with 10 foot 2x6s with a small opening at the point of the V. Set the trap in that opening. Put the whole rig out where they are using. Dillers ain`t real bright and will wander down one side of the V and into the trap.

I`ve never seen one go to bait in a trap.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Best way to catch a dilller in a box trap is to make a big V with 10 foot 2x6s with a small opening at the point of the V. Set the trap in that opening. Put the whole rig out where they are using. Dillers ain`t real bright and will wander down one side of the V and into the trap.

I`ve never seen one go to bait in a trap.
A buddy of mine caught a few in catfish baskets that he had laying in his yard and left the cottonseed meal cakes in there that he used for catfish bait.

CamoDawg85

NCHB / Nic - appreciate the feedback. I will give the 2x4 method a shot and see what happens. If no luck then cottonseed meal cakes, here we come!

hdgapeach

No need to bait. Dillers are habit creatures. If you can figure out their "trail" and set up a trap situation like Nicodemus was talking about, they'll follow their routine and stumble into the trap, bait or no bait.

Trap needs to be heavy duty. They can tear up an anvil with a bananna! I usually just thin 'em out with the .22. Started out head shootin' 'em. Didn't like cleaning up the mess just to dispose of the things. Started gut shootin' 'em so they'd run and get off in the woods a ways before they died. No more picking them up with the shovel doing it that way!

jakebuddy

I have seen folks put together two ten foot 2x8 that will funnel them into a trap. They are eating mole crickets and grubs in your lawn which is good but bad. Kill the insects the armadillo will leave maybe!

Davexx1

Do an Internet search for "armadillo trap" and you will see lots of info and pictures of traps and how to catch them. Fairly easy to do with a little effort and a good trap. Use two long 1 x 6 boards to create a funnel guide to the door of trap. (Plastic drift fence may work for the funnel) Drive a couple of stakes on the outside of the boards to hold them upright and in position. Put the mouth of the funnel on both sides of the hole so when the armadillo comes out, it will walk right into the funnel and to the trap. Some dead grass clippings scattered on the trap floor may help prevent a refusal. If necessary, block the back side of the hole. Also, there could be more than one living in that den hole so you may have to go thru the drill several times to get them all and stop the damage. Good Luck. Post picture of success.

Last edited:

Perkins

Man im going to tell you this. Ive had this happen two years in a row after we moved to a house on land way back in the woods. I went through a total nightmare!! The first year they ruined 90% of my yard. And i did kill two Armidillos there so I was thinking that was the culprit. I put down grub killer and it stopped immediately. This year it started again. So i put my security camera on the yard and its Raccoons. They were doing the majority of it all along. They are so hard to kill and trap but so far ive caught and killed 5. This year grub stop didnt phase them and they destroyed my entire back yard. An old trapper told me about putting three eggs in a trap. Works almost every time. I have all kinds of video of them digging up my yard. And like I said I thought it was armadillos to. Next year i plan on having a pesticide company spray for grubs.

Cook&Bro

Something has been rooting around in my front yard. Suspected it might be armadillos so set up a game cam.

Really surprised by the proximity of the deer to my front door - which is about 10 feet to the left.

The cat is our calico - excellent hunter but wisely gave the dillo a pass.

Someone is building a box trap this weekend - open at both ends - stick in the center as the trigger. Will "guide" the dillos to the trap. Bambi.JPGDillo 1.JPGDillo 2.JPGDillo 3 & Cali.JPG

Bigtimber

22 at night....not that a soda bottle silencer is legal but I have heard tell of it working really well for dillos.

I can tell you one thing....you can funnel them in pretty easy with the wire like Nik said but if you don't have a pretty good box trap or one with light weight type treadle pads/triggers inside....a dillo will go ape crazy in there sometimes and wreck it up pretty good. Had one tear up one of my lightweight traps and he did a better job than I figured he could at it lol.

Cook&Bro

Yep, have it on good authority that sub-sonic 22s work well. The box trap is Plan A, so the grandkids can experience "old school" ways. Plan B is good old Clint Eastwood: "Make My Day (Night)".

ChanceHill

I've been known to stalk hunt them with a 22 in the hardwood drain behind the house around dusk. They like to scratch around in the woods late in the day before coming out and digging up the lawn at night. After shooting a dozen or so one year, I haven't had much trouble with them. I've also been known to fly out the back door at 2am with my 357 and blast one at point blank range. That makes a heck of a loud bang in the middle of the night. Not recommended for the suburbs. These days, I'm much more tolerant of them than I used to be, as long as they don't get too out of control.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If you can't shoot then you need to do away with the food supply,mostly grubs. Not as fun as shooting them,but effective