Sometimes the old ways work, even on Lanier

ronniegarrison

I don’t get to fish Lanier much, five or six times a year for club tournaments or articles, so when one of my clubs set a tournament there for yesterday I was a little worried. I don’t think I have ever fished it before in February.

I had been reading about the Fishhead spin bite in the pockets here and other places but I hate to admit, I have never caught a fish on a Fishhead spin. I have been in the boat with folks catching fish on it but I have not confidence in it at all. I contacted KBad and we set up a trip there last Friday. I was hoping to figure something out –have not been on the lake since November.

Friday I decided to go to the doctor instead – bad sinus infection. Antibiotics and steroids got me feeling good enough to fish Sunday so I went out blind. Started on some points and pockets with the fishhead and other baits but no bites. At about 10 I went to a brush pile in Mud Creek Lanier Jim had shown me – its in the book – and saw fish on it in 35 feet of water. Quickly caught a 2.5 pound spot on a jigging spoon. That improved my attitude.

Three hours and several brush piles later without another bite I was idling around looking for fish when Chuck Croft, a member of my club, pulled up. He shook his head when I said I had on – he had a good limit from the backs of pockets on the Fishhead. I thought about trying it but decided to go with something I felt better about.

Many years ago I did a February article with Ryan Coleman and a November article with Larry Lewis. Both had put the same couple of points back in Flat Creek on the map and I have caught some fish off them over the years.

The first one I stopped on I smiled when I saw some stain and 52 degrees. Started throwing a crawfish DT 6 and landed a keeper spot. Then pitched a jig to a log in a couple of feet of water, felt a thump and set the hook on what turned out to be a 5.34 pound largemouth. I missed one bite on the jig in a tree top then, a few minutes later, as I pulled the jig up a limb it pulled back. Usually those fish spit the bait before I can set the hook but this two pound spot held on – maybe it was the JJs on the trailer!

I did ‘t get any more bites but my four gave me second at 10.95 pounds and had big fish. Chuck won with five at 14.09 and he had a 4.42 pound spot. Third was three at 6.39

Not a good catch for those of you that fish Lanier and know it, but I was happy!

Sometimes it is best to go to what you are comfortable doing. I usually guess wrong, but this time it worked out ok.

Scout'nStripers

Good info and report for Lanier. Glad to see somebody is out there getting them. Thanks!:cheers:

Lanier Jim

Good read Ronnie....

Cletus T.

Nice work Ronnie…….I like the detail in your writing…..always have!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

ronniegarrison

Problems with Keys to Catching Lake Lanier Bass book - I m going to start another thread with this, too.

When getting ready to fish Sunday I looked at the book on my phone and Chapter 2, Feb with Ryan Coleman, ended before the ten holes were listed. I have no idea what happened but that is missing from the file I had set up to email and copy to CD too.

If you bought the book in any format, contact me and I will email you the ten spots and GPS coordinates. I got the five pounder on one of them Sunday!

Im sorry I just found this out