South African booked for summer of 2024

Triple C

Are y’all going trad for the hunt? What animals are on your list?
I’ll be shooting Black Widow recurve. Boys will be using compounds. Think of everything from wildebeest to impala and all in between. None of the dangerous game. Whole lot to learn between now and August. Communication with the PH daily.

Will post more as I gain more knowledge and intel.

Al33

Real happy for you, Brooks, & Dustin, AC. Prepping and planning for this adventure is a lot of fun in itself. Proud you are taking the recurve, you want regret it. Best advice I can give you when shooting at African plains game is to try to put your arrow mid body (up & down) and straight up above the front leg. You don't want to shoot them like you would a whitetail. Also, take a video camera and tripod with you so you can video the excitement. :)

Triple C

Congrats on the upcoming trip . Which Providence and outfitter , if you don’t mind me asking ?
I went to the Eastern Cape in 2012 and the Limpopo in 2015 . However I was using a 300 Win Mag .
Best of luck and enjoy .
Likhulu Safaris. Recommended by a close friend of Brooks that has been there several times. Meeting with the outfitter next month when he is here in the states. Lots of prepping and planning ahead.

Airline tickets are booked and deposits made.
IMG_0446.png

Triple C

Real happy for you, Brooks, & Dustin, AC. Prepping and planning for this adventure is a lot of fun in itself. Proud you are taking the recurve, you want regret it. Best advice I can give you when shooting at African plains game is to try to put your arrow mid body (up & down) and straight up above the front leg. You don't want to shoot them like you would a whitetail. Also, take a video camera and tripod with you so you can video the excitement. :)
Al33…If not for you I wouldn’t be doing this. Thx for the encouragement! And the early shooting lessons when I transitioned to trad bows.

Robust Redhorse

Great for you!

I hunted close to where you will be in 2007, and someone killed a blue wildebeest with a rifle, while I was there, that had 7 broadheads in it!

Use something that will get a complete pass-through.

My son uses Iron Wills. I use Kudus.

Most American hunters are intimidated by Africa, but you will have more opportunities for game for $5,000 than you will get in America for $50,000.

Triple C

Great for you!

I hunted close to where you will be in 2007, and someone killed a blue wildebeest with a rifle, while I was there, that had 7 broadheads in it!

Use something that will get a complete pass-through.

My son uses Iron Wills. I use Kudus.

Most American hunters are intimidated by Africa, but you will have more opportunities for game for $5,000 than you will get in America for $50,000.
As of right now I’ll be slinging a Zwickey No Mercy single bevel broadhead in front of a 100 grain brass insert, giving me 230 grains up front, riding on a Gold Tip 400 shaft. Black Widow PTFV - 48lbs @28” draw. Boys most likely will be using their compounds with mechanical broadheads.

Starting to shoot an old Dan Quillian longbow hunter @60lbs that I‘ve had for a long time but almost certain I will be using my Black Widow recurve at this point.

That is amazing that an animal had 7 broadheads riding along.

Robust Redhorse

I would advise your boys to use fixed blades, because they make you pay for the animal if they can find a single drop of blood. You want to try to get a complete pass through, if possible. African animals seem to be tougher (pound for pound) than American game (probably because they have to fight for survival every day).

This guy tests broadheads and I think he offers good advise: