South Dakota Pheasant Trip Advice needed

GAbuckhunter88

I’m heading to South Dakota the first of October for a pheasant hunt but I’ve never been. Any advice on what I should to take?

As far as gun I planned to take my beretta silver pigeon 20Ga. Any issues with that or should I take my 12?

Whitefeather

Management Material
I’d take a 12 ga for the heavier loads if it were me. They can be pretty tough birds sometimes and in the wind they can really move out it a hurry.

Whitefeather

Management Material
The second question is when exactly are you going? The season opens on the 3rd Saturday in October, which this year is on the 17th.

Gator89

The second question is when exactly are you going? The season opens on the 3rd Saturday in October, which this year is on the 17th.

Licensed preserves can start in September. The 3rd Saturday in October is for public land and all private land that is not a licensed preserve.

I hunt with a 20 gauge and kill my limit, lighter gun and ammo is easier to walk long crop field rows.

Early October could be warm, so take clothes you can layer.

Last edited:

Stonewall 2

I wouldn’t take a over under. Your gun doesn’t haves to be plugged and only having two shots can be kind of frustrating on a good rise. Going in early October weather could be at both extremes. Good luck!

spring

If you're a decent shooter, especially if you've done much dove hunting, you'll find a 20 is all you need. I've hunted out there 3 times and took a 12 the first time or two, but adjusted by the last trip. They're large birds compared to what we shoot in the south, and if you're shooting them as they flush, it's not as tough as what we do in Georgia. On the other hand, if you're blocking at the end of a field, the birds can get high and fast; maybe then a 12 would help.

greg j

The size shot you use is more important than the gauge, you may want to take a 20 and a 12 ga if you have them but i would use a no. 5 shot or no.4 shot for pheasant.

Nimrod71

If you hunt public land you have to use steel shot and with the size shot you will be using a 12 will pattern better. it also depends on how good of shot you are. I need all the help I can get. I have been hunting S.D. for over 15 yrs and I love it. I go out the first of Nov. less people on the fields. Good Luck.

Uptonongood

Early season pheasants typically hold tighter than birds that have been shot at. I only use double gun 20 ga. As I only hunted early season. Start shooting sporting clays now and pattern your gun by choke and load for 25, 35, 45 yards. The double guns give the opportunity for more open choke on close birds, tighter chokes and pattern if you missed your first shot and the bird has gained a little more distance.

cowhornedspike

I've done better with my 20 than the 12 I took the first trip or 2. Been 5 times to KS. The 12 was just too heavy to tote all day long and something else to consider is the weight of a pocket full of shells when comparing the 12 to the 20. I could tote more 20ga shells and sometimes I needed them.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Take plenty of water, especially if you're hunting with a dog, it can get pretty hot out there in the afternoons.

It can also get pretty cold and wet, so take the appropriate clothing to match the conditions you will encounter. Pretty windy as was stated before.

I took a pair of frog tog hip boots with me for rainy days, buddies were talking trash until I was dry and they were soaked from the hips down.

I took my 12 gauge auto, a gun that I am very familiar with. Shot lead 6s on private and steel #2s on public.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac

fauxferret

Bismuth shells for the win. A lot of people take steel to shoot on public land but if you're gonna drive that far spend the extra and get the good stuff. Putting down a ditch chicken can at times be difficult.

If you're doing an out of state license when you set your second 5 day period put it as the last week in the season. You can always move it to earlier but you CANNOT move it to later.

Learn the legalities of unarmed retrieval and hunting the right of way.

You cannot legally guide someone on public land, so if you run into someone "guiding" you on public land it's likely a scam and illegal.

If you're going to hunt on a reservation I highly highly suggest you find a local you can trust.

Stop by the local bar/hardware store, a lot of people own ranches out there and usually once they get to know you and why you're there they will sometimes invite you to hunt their land. This is how I bagged many a bird.

South Dakota DNR will send you a book of state regulations and a public land atlas if you go on their site and request one. It is free and helps you out a lot if it's your first time.

Download the SD 511 driving app, I made it up there late this year and I got stuck in that blizzard that hit right before Christmas. I still tagged out for my time there but I had to work for it. Getting out was more difficult than getting in.

A nice chest rig, I use a huntredi vest carries my shells, water and birds.

There's a million other things in my mind I'll remember later. That's just what I can regurgitate right now. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. I'm headed back up there in October myself. Good hunting

seaduck

We are going the first week of November this year. It will be our first trip out that way. Been on my dads bucket list forever and we ain’t getting any younger. We’ve been planning for years so I’ve actually been reloading tss over time for the trip. We are staying in Mitchell and can’t wait.

hoffy

Keep in mind our east river deer season is November 18 - December 3. Thought you may want to know, the state land you may want to pheasant hunt at 10:00 may have been deer hunted before 9:00.

Latest posts