Soybeans?

sghoghunter

In the past I’ve planted soybeans and once the plant got up and nipped off they were done. What I have done the past couple years was to plant iron clay peas and sunflowers together. The peas seem to keep growing after they get nipped off aslong as there’s leaves left

Jim Boyd

I planted about 8-9 acres Eagle beans on 185 a few years ago and got wiped out.

The 185 is about 65% commercial tillable, also.

Never underestimate a determined herd.

Good luck.

GatorHeuss

Thinking I need to do a mix. Any suggestions, I'm thinking soybeans, cowpeas, lablab and sorghum or maybe buckwheat in lieu of sorghum. Is adding soybeans in the mix a waste?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Since you're doing a mix, which is a great idea, you could try a forage soybean, which is not meant to produce much seed, but leaf matter. These soybeans are/were intended to be baled like hay, for cattle. Something like Tyrone Soybeans. Not RounduP Ready, but in a mix you can't use RoundUp anyway. They may be your least expensive route and you will get to see how soybeans perform and you get to make changes next year ..... if you need to. Just a thought.

https://foragesoybeans.com/tyrone/tyrone/?fullSite=1

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Just a few mix ideas

Attachments

• Top 10 summer food plots2.JPG
    Top 10 summer food plots2.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 22

Thetrooper

I would put t the 5, 4, 3 in soybeans and keep the small ones in greens. Don't waste time in the small plots for beans unless you have low deer #

Thetrooper

I wouldn't mix anything with beans at planting. Will limit your herbicide options. Could overseed once the leaves fall off but I wouldn't do a bean combo through a full growing season. If you ever get into a situation where deer are hammering your plots hard look into an E-fence couple hundred bucks easy to do don't have to buy a kit or anything can piece one together for a lot cheaper

Glynr

I use to buy a mix Ks989 , catjang, LabLab and tall corn. The deer loved the Ks989 but can't find it anywhere.

Thetrooper

@Thetrooper an exception to what you said would be to add corn with climbing soybeans..
Yeah for post emergent herbicide you are right but you're missing out on corn pre emergents if you go the corn route. I know it might not be important for your food plots but I wouldn't plant corn and beans together personally. Your corn is going to be competing for moisture and nutrients the two will basically be working against each other. I would rather have a solid block of corn or a solid block of soybeans at 100% rather than a mix of the two operating at minimal yields. If you wait for the crop to dry down and overseed wheat or brassicas you don't have to worry about competition. I'm from Ohio we take our corn and beans seriously lol

Yeah I haven’t planted that combo together mentioned it as a suggestion. I typically use corn and beans together in blocks as you mentioned. Corn acts as a screen with beans behind it and woods is my goto setup. A lot depends on location and acreage with what I do what with