Soybeans

MAD DOG MIKE

We have a 3 year old power line, and want to plant 2 1/2 acres of soybeans in the summer. Any input would be apricated. Thanks Mike

Last edited:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I quit planting Soybeans and Iron & Clay Cowpeas after the deer would never let 5 acres of them grow. Soybeans, if nipped off below the first 2 leaves, will not regrow. Cowpeas will keep trying to grow, but I still ended up with a weed plot.

You may have good success if you can fence them off or a portion of them. I didn't.

You may want to consider a mix of things, that include cowpeas, soybeans, milo, buckwheat, corn and even sunn hemp.

Or consider alyce clover and joint vetch instead?

https://www.qdma.com/american-jointvetch/

across the river

As mentioned, I don’t think it would survive long enough to make it unless fenced.

Jim Boyd

I planted 9.5 acres of eagle beans and never saw a plant over 1” tall.

You could not put your foot down and not step on 5 deer tracks.

Swamprat

Swamprat
We gave up on any type of bean product, plots get to looking great and then "BAM", mowed down to nothing in a day or two after the first frost. Sometimes before, they let it get a certain height and the next day looks like you ran a lawn mower over it.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Do you plant alyce clover in the spring?? I was thinking that was the one they have you plant in your garden in the late fall/early winter to give the soil more organic stuff when you till it under

Jdlfarms

I plant alyce clover and aeschynomene at 10 lbs of each per acre and have had great luck with it Deer in it all summer long and until first frost

BuckNasty83

As others have said, you'll need more acreage. I tried it on 2 acres years ago. Soon as it started producing pods it was gone.