Spadefish

Seasetter

Hey all.went to a reef a few weeks ago and it was loaded with spadefish.i tried small pieces of pogy but they weren't interested. What is the best bait to take next time I go?thanks.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Jelly fish?
I've caught them on shrimp bits before...
I've heard they are good eating but they sure stink up a cooler full o fish.
I gave them away to get rid of them.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Welcome to the forum...:)

Years ago, there was an old Philipino lady that fished the St. Simon's pier. When the Spadefish showed up, she murdered them.

Her bait of choice was those cannonball jellyfish. She'd cut a small bite, small hook, and snatch em from under the pier.

Very similar technique to catching sheep heads with fiddlers.

Redbow

What Lampern said but the cannonball jellyfish work best of all. Sometimes a very small piece of clear plastic on the hook will fool them.

Rabun

I’ve caught a couple of those as bycatch but always threw them back. Had no idea they were good to eat. What’s the trick in cleaning them? Hardest fish to clean for me are triggers and sheepshead

UncleIcy

They are very tasty if you can fillet correctly. Sharp, flexible knife is a must. A tiny bit of brined (salted) shrimp on a fish skin sabiki rig will clean up. Gotta have the iridescent fish skin and a tiny, very sharp hook.

jfish

filleting isnt too bad if you have a sharp knife. sharp i mean sharp not close to sharp.

skin is thick.

when you filet the skin off dont press the knife down all the way keep it angled up just a touch to minimize blood line.