Specific questions about death & insurance & whatnot

MudDucker

Staff member
Not sure if the funeral home would provide any value in handling the insurance or not but something about that gives me the heebie-jeebies. Like getting a paycheck cashed at the liquor store or something…
I would probably try to deal with the insurance company myself and pay the funeral home whatever was owed them.

They provide value to themselves to insure they get paid. They do know how to handle the paperwork on a claim though.

What a lot of folks don't know is that the insurance belongs to the beneficiary and not the estate and can not be legally required to be used to pay funeral or any other expenses of the deceased. Most would anyway.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
She's improving somewhat but the doctors don't want to rush anything. How fast people recover or respond to treatments can vary greatly. The ICU doctors were trying to ease her back into consciousness today, but that didn't pan out so they will try again tomorrow if all her vitals are stable enough. Who knows, maybe she will regain consciousness on or before Valentine's Day and I can get her a card or something to cheer her up. :huh:
Prayers all this advice is not needed.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I don’t trust folks enough to sign everything over. I would tell them I’m paying cash what’s the best price you will give me, whomever that may be. Deal with the life insurance directly. Dang folks wana jack prices up fees and anything else they can come up with when they know your getting money back. Don’t tell them no more than you have to when that time comes. Im paying cash and that’s all you need to know. Really hate to hear about your situation and wish you the best with it.
Wasn’t my experience at all. The funeral homes estimate laid out in the contract was very close to final expenses. The last thing I wanted to do at the time was deal with the details of multiple ambulances and arrangements to air ship Mom’s body to her final resting place. The funeral home owner handed me a check the first time we met at the funeral home with an itemized invoice included.

I hope all this info is not needed and your wife recovers.

Wasn’t my experience at all. The funeral homes estimate laid out in the contract was very close to final expenses. The last thing I wanted to do at the time was deal with the details of multiple ambulances and arrangements to air ship Mom’s body to her final resting place. The funeral home owner handed me a check the first time we met at the funeral home with an itemized invoice included.

I hope all this info is not needed and your wife recovers.
Yeah, I have trust issues and I just would rather control stuff like that myself. To much scamming and dishonest people. People have and will continue to advantage of folks in vulnerable and emotional states.. sad to say that is the world we live in and it has ruined trust with people that are still good business and honest people. I completely agree that I surely hope his wife recovers and this route is not needed at this time.,

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yeah, I have trust issues and I just would rather control stuff like that myself. To much scamming and dishonest people. People have and will continue to advantage of folks in vulnerable and emotional states.. sad to say that is the world we live in and it has ruined trust with people that are still good business and honest people.
Helped that Mom had made all her prior arrangements and I had a locked in cost on all that. Shipping was the only variable I was dealing with.

Helped that Mom had made all her prior arrangements and I had a locked in cost on all that. Shipping was the only variable I was dealing with.
Sounds like she was well prepared. I sure don’t like seeing folks have to go through this tuff time in life. It’s something we all must face unfortunately.. condolences on your mother also

basstrkr

So sorry about your tough situation.
It it is a term life policy then the policy can likely be used for absolutely anything you choose from cat food to coffee. But you are going to have to “RTDP”. “Read The Dang Policy”.
Sympathy to you sir: But you must locate and read the policy. It could be already be assigned to a funeral home, it could be someone else is the beneficiary, it could be that it doesn't pay until you are both gone. If you are the beneficiary then it can be used anyway you see fit and personally the funeral home would not know if I one or not.

oldfella1962

When my wife passed, the funeral home took care of it all for me. If there are bills out there lingering I believe that unless your name was on them that no one can take claim to the life insurance. My late wife had some credit cards in her name only, once they were informed and proof given they wrote those debts off.
Glad those companies wrote them off. When my mother-in-law died, she was way in debt. Nobody wrote off anything. If my wife or her sister wanted the not yet paid for house, they would have to pony up the money to pay all her unpaid debts first. Nobody was in a position to do that, so the mortgager/bank took the house and paid her unpaid bills then sold the house for obviously not a very big profit.

oldfella1962

They provide value to themselves to insure they get paid. They do know how to handle the paperwork on a claim though.

What a lot of folks don't know is that the insurance belongs to the beneficiary and not the estate and can not be legally required to be used to pay funeral or any other expenses of the deceased. Most would anyway.
Okay I need some clarity. What is the difference - what are the definitions - of "beneficiary" and "estate". I probably had it explained to me by a lawyer when my wife & myself drew up our wills, but that was quite a few years ago. My experiences with death are pretty much limited to "tag 'em and bag 'em" when it comes to the legal processes.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Okay I need some clarity. What is the difference - what are the definitions - of "beneficiary" and "estate". I probably had it explained to me by a lawyer when my wife & myself drew up our wills, but that was quite a few years ago. My experiences with death are pretty much limited to "tag 'em and bag 'em" when it comes to the legal processes.

See post 21

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
An estate if the collections of assets an liabilities that belonged to the deceased. A beneficiary of an insurance policy is the legal entity, usually a person who is designated by the owner of the policy to receive the proceeds from the policy when it is paid out. An estate can be a beneficiary.

oldfella1962

An estate if the collections of assets an liabilities that belonged to the deceased. A beneficiary of an insurance policy is the legal entity, usually a person who is designated by the owner of the policy to receive the proceeds from the policy when it is paid out. An estate can be a beneficiary.
Oh - I think I get it. I have heard of "estate sales" where they sell dead people's things.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That an estate can be a beneficiary under an insurance policy can be important if there is no named beneficiary in the policy or if the named beneficiary is no longer living. In these cased the estate of the deceased becomes the beneficiary of the policy and the proceeds would be subject to the claims of any creditors of the deceased like credit card companies or Medicare if there is a claw back.

oldfella1962

@oldfella1962 prayers of strength and fond memories for your family.
Thank you! Yes, we have dozens of old school photo albums and many fond memories. If she passes away, I am going to organize them into some kind of coherent fashion so my kids & grandkids can view them easily without digging through every picture even taken related to every subject like they have to do now.

Last edited:

oldfella1962

UPDATE! I read through her will & medical directives and got phone numbers to different reputable & established funeral homes, so I won't be "taken for a ride". I know exactly what I want which is a "bare bones" (no pun intended) cremation with no ceremony. And my wife has zero debt - but also zero financial assets - which should keep the money grabbing vultures at bay. I will soon make another thread about other factors in her medical situation. GON members have a lot of collective experience with similar situations.

UPDATE! I read through her will & medical directives and got phone numbers to different reputable & established funeral homes, so I won't be "taken for a ride". I know exactly what I want which is a "bare bones" (no pun intended) cremation with no ceremony. And my wife has zero debt - but also zero financial assets - which should keep the money grabbing vultures at bay. I will soon make another thread about other factors in her medical situation. GON members have a lot of collective experience with similar situations.
That’s good to know.. keep us posted we can learn from your experience as well

oldfella1962

That’s good to know.. keep us posted we can learn from your experience as well
Yes indeed. GON forum is a great source of collective knowledge & experience. I don't have as much experience useful experience as most of the people on here, but I like to help people as much as I can.