Spin-Fly ??

kirby999

Anybody try it ? I'm thinking of building a 6 1/2 foot UL spinning rod specifically for spin-flyfishing . I've used a standard UL outfit for Crappie fishing with a 1/64 marabou jig before with good results , but I can see where other possibilities are there. Like a RLD tied on small jig head , or wooly worm fished under a small float (indicator ) for bluegills. Or maybe some nymph fishing for trout . My main love is regular flyfishing , but arthritis in my hands limit the amount of casting I can handle in a days fishing . This maybe a way to extend my fishing day . kirby

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Do it all the time for trout........... and have caught some good one's doing it. Use flies and small plastic worms with my 5 1/2 foot spinning outfit...:cool:

allenww

short spin rod

I made a half dozen one piece 6 ft rods to use with the baby Zebco spincast reels. I have never caught anything bigger than three pounds with one, but I have worn out several Zebcos and had a great time.

Closest I know of today would be to use a Pac Bay IM6
6'6" 2 piece blank @ about $27, or go high class with an ATM 6' 6" at $38 (IM7).

wa

kirby999

I made a half dozen one piece 6 ft rods to use with the baby Zebco spincast reels. I have never caught anything bigger than three pounds with one, but I have worn out several Zebcos and had a great time.

Closest I know of today would be to use a Pac Bay IM6
6'6" 2 piece blank @ about $27, or go high class with an ATM 6' 6" at $38 (IM7).

wa

I have a green Matrix 2wt 6-6 , I bought two while they were on sale . I was thinking it will be perfect . Depending on how I like it , I may do one with the Rain Shadow 6-6 2 wt. from Cabelas for less than $22 . kirby

allenww

I just looked at Jann's - they have a fiberglass 1/8 oz single piece
6ft. ($8).

I was at the Flint one day when the water was up a little - life was a lot more pleasant with my 6 ft and a woolie and a stick than it would have been with a flyrod. Caught a few, too.

I built mine for crappie, but that length is just plain nice to fish with.

The only downside I can think of is if I were to catch a big fish, all I could do is wear it out in order to bring it to hand. But I keep 4# line on mine to solve that problem.

ssmith

Fly rod with spinning reel

I have an 8' fly rod with a spinning reel attached at the bottom-caught a six pound rainbow last Friday- rod bent double most of time. Lot of fun-negative is so long can catch up in branches when you cast.

overbrook

Dude...if you want great spin fly action...check into an 11' or 12' noodle rod....xtra ultra light rod with ultra light reel and 2-4 pound mono....thats how I got started fly fishing....but still love noodle rods.....you can buy the blanks on a few of the websites. An 11' noodle rod will throw a 100th oz. jig on 4 pd across the lake...and the rod has so much flex....you can land a 5lb bass! :biggrin3: