Spoon fishing

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Coenen

The Mojo is the baby of the bunch, they're about 3 inches overall and right around a half ounce.

wcbjr

War Eagle Jiggin' Spoon - 1/2 oz. , silver or white - has an integral swivel and stickey sharp Gamakatsu hook - catch fish in any lake - see fish/shad on sonar , drop feathering it down , lift with sharp wrist motion , repeat , keep loose contact with spoon at all times .
Happy Hooking ,
Charles

Kestas69

Understood, been their done that!! What spoon were you using or lure I might ask?
I've sat on fish an caught bass, perch, catfish an also an ocassional carp, an white bass by the dozens (when I find them) but their was define toy something different about the spoon the man was using cause I sat all over the same spot,ditch/ Timberline as he was an no fish for me.

What's a mojo spoon?

Crippled Herring in silver and War Eagle in white worked for me

slingblade625

Crippled Herring

Can they be bought local? I like the size, I'd like to be able to put my hands on it, don't want to order unless I have too.

Who has a large selection of spoons around the north ga area? Someone mentioned oakwood earlier, how about hammonds! I've never been to either one but they aren't that far from me I just never go that way anymore

Kestas69

Can they be bought local? I like the size, I'd like to be able to put my hands on it, don't want to order unless I have too.

Who has a large selection of spoons around the north ga area? Someone mentioned oakwood earlier, how about hammonds! I've never been to either one but they aren't that far from me I just never go that way anymore

Hammonds

TroyBoy30

E4626236-22B7-4545-9552-0DCFD8A0B0F6_zps4ty8j1lh.jpg

wncslim

Don't forget the Rapala ice jig, it works when spoons don't and falls much quicker which is good if fish are over 30 feet deep. I also use an 1/8th oz jig head with zoom mini fluke, it takes longer to sink but they will hit it faster than spoons or raps, just lower to fish and barely jiggle it.

slingblade625

I've caught fish as deep as 70' on a fluke weighted with a pegged 3/4" sinker takes awhile to get a 15-20 striper off the bottom with a bass rod an 10# test line. Fun thou.

greg_n_clayton

Been following this thread. Our choices in these parts are limited. Don't want or mean to high jack the OP; but what weight line is best used with you guys' preferred jiggin spoons ??

Gordon

I like to use 10lb line when using Kastmasters, I use the 3/8 spoon. When using bigger spoons I go to 17lb, you could probably go to 20lb. With heavier line you can jig your spoon over the treetops on Lanier for example and hopefully be able to retrieve your spoon too if you get hung up, well 80 or 90% of the time. If your not getting hung up sometimes, you are fishing in the wrong place.

StriperrHunterr

I like to use 10lb line when using Kastmasters, I use the 3/8 spoon. When using bigger spoons I go to 17lb, you could probably go to 20lb. With heavier line you can jig your spoon over the treetops on Lanier for example and hopefully be able to retrieve your spoon too if you get hung up, well 80 or 90% of the time. If your not getting hung up sometimes, you are fishing in the wrong place.

On my 3 ouncers I go for 20lb Big Game and yes, once you learn how to tell a fish from a tree, sounds simple but is not, you limit the amount of times you bury the hook in wood and can much more easily get them out.

Anything an ounce and under and I'm using my 10lb Silver Thread Copolymer, but I'm also usually using that to target bass vs stripes.

greg_n_clayton

Very little submerged structure up here in Ga Power lakes. Jiggin drops/channel edges works for me; what little jigging I do in cold weather.

Thanks for the replies guys !!