Spot & Stalk on WMAs during Deer Season?

fourwinds

Do you guys ever hog hunt on WMA's during deer season? I'd be concerned with getting shot or ticking off some guy by walking under his stand. So, what do you guys do? Any etiquette advice?

grizzlyblake

I personally wouldn't do it just out of fear of messing up someone else's hunt by walking up on them. If I were to do it I would probably wait until mid December because most WMAs are packed full during November for the rut.

You could always take a .22 or 12ga birdshot to a WMA that's not open to deer but is for small game. I'm going to Riverbend on Halloween weekend to do that but I'm still not 100% on shooting a hog with either of those choices. It may just end up to be a big ol' squirrel hunt.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Stalking during a sign-in/check-in hunt can be tough if there are alot of people that use that particular WMA.

Like Blake said... during small game hunts there are not nearly as many people and it's easier to stalk for hogs. 22 mags, muzzleloaders, and archery equipment are good choices.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I Will GO, any chance I get and since I dont have a Deer rifle, I will have to lug the 12 ga with a slug.....I should be getting a 30-30 pretty soon though:banana:

I would rather go than not, so MHO is GO MAN GO!!

Rather than walking up under some guys tree stand, I will use the "if there is a Vehicle there, go somewhere else" rule.........I usually go during the Middle of the week so I have yet to see the weekend traffic........

Sargent

Most people (especially those with a tree stand) don't walk that far in the woods. Just keep walking and you'll do fine.

grizzlyblake

I Will GO, any chance I get and since I dont have a Deer rifle, I will have to lug the 12 ga with a slug.....I should be getting a 30-30 pretty soon though:banana:

I would rather go than not, so MHO is GO MAN GO!!

Rather than walking up under some guys tree stand, I will use the "if there is a Vehicle there, go somewhere else" rule.........I usually go during the Middle of the week so I have yet to see the weekend traffic........

Hey there's nothing wrong with a 12ga slug! I might actually prefer it to carrying my 30-30 for the bigger punch.

One night I was thinking about that and weighed my 870 and 336 and they both weighed the same, about 7lbs I think.