Spotted bass behavior

hopper

Do spotted bass roam around the entire lake? Or do they make a certain area or range their home?
For instance, if I find alot of spots in a creek off of a main channel will they most likely always be there just maybee in different areas of that creek or cove.

Coenen

If I had to guess, I'd say a bit of both. Some certainly become residents if they are in an area that can provide for their needs without forcing them to wander much. Others go "pelagic" and wander around following the bait.

Forage base has a lot to do with it. The fish in herring lakes are more likely to take to open water.

hopper

Yep. Looks like since the bluebacks were introduced the spots have become more nomadic in following these guys around the lake. Looks like I will be reading up on blueback behavior. I think Brian Latimar has a good video out on this. Makes it hard to pattern the bass at times.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Around here they mostly school in open water following the bait.

Doog

Within hours of each other, I've caught spots on the bank spitting up craw pincers and off open water humps spitting up bluebacks- all in the same creek arm. No doubt, bbs have trained some spots to just follow them, but seems they eat what's there...

Do spotted bass roam around the entire lake? Or do they make a certain area or range their home?
For instance, if I find alot of spots in a creek off of a main channel will they most likely always be there just maybee in different areas of that creek or cove.

The biggest and best spots will follow the bait. Never caught better than a 3 lb spot away from the big schools that follow the bait. Ive caught spots up rivers from main lakes and backs of coves. Never magnums though. Big spots like deeper water even during spawn.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
They seem to roam definitely, but at both Lanier and Allatoona I've caught and seen plenty of 2-5lb spots right from the bank. Both of my biggest Lanier bass (4 and 5lbs) have been caught from docks and my biggest Allatoona spot was caught on the shoreline fishing from a beach area

RamblinWreck

Man, I can't wait to catch one that big. I estimate my best was maybe 4 lbs., but it was in another lake, so...

My goal this year is to break the Lanier black crappie record.