Spraying Clearfield sunflowers

seaduck

Our first year planting Clearfields. Came up great. Hit with pre emergence like we do every year. We have our immox with surfactant and nitrogen ready to spray. Question is sunflowers are 5 inches tall and not one single weed in field, so when do we spray. Didn’t know if there was a point when we couldn’t spray. Thanks for help.

Knotwild

I have sprayed them using drops on the sprayer when they get tall enough. Now I use Spartan Charge + Treflan and forget about them.

ChattBuck

Sprayed ours with Beyond a week ago tomorrow. Haven't really seen anything dying yet, but didn't have a large weed burden either.

Anyone know how long Beyond/Immox takes to start killing?

cowhornedspike

Haven't planted clearfield sunflowers for a few years but when I did I used Cadre on them. Very clean ground under them with lots of doves. Slow acting and you won't see results quickly but lasts all season. Residual can affect what you can plant in that plot the next season though.

doomtrpr_z71

Sprayed ours with Beyond a week ago tomorrow. Haven't really seen anything dying yet, but didn't have a large weed burden either.

Anyone know how long Beyond/Immox takes to start killing?
It's not quick, if you didn't look closely you may not see it working in a week. What are you trying to kill? There are some populations of als resistant pigweeds and beyond isn't going to kill them in one application.

ChattBuck

It's not quick, if you didn't look closely you may not see it working in a week. What are you trying to kill? There are some populations of als resistant pigweeds and beyond isn't going to kill them in one application.

You assume my weed ID is up to par. It's not. I can just say i have spots where there's a lot of "non sunflower" growth. Only one I can identify is a lot of ragweed. Beyond literature says it "might" work on ragweed.

ChattBuck

If it's bigger than 3in ragweed it most likely isn't going to give very good control.

Planted 30 inch wide rows. Probably going to just walk them with a backpack sprayer and at least thin out the ragweed here in a week or so. It's pervasive in part of my field.