Spraying sweetgums again? *update with Triclopyr

Ugahunter2013

I have an area I worked hard on last year clearing out. Lots of sweet gums and wax myrtles in a brooke sedge clearing. I paint on some stump killer, but alot of it was the day after and i didn't get a complete kill. I now have multiple shoots coming off the cuts i made last year. Could I machete those and spray a 6oz/gallon mix of round up. Would that kill it?

doomtrpr_z71

6oz of Roundup isn't going to do it, undiluted mixed with oil would be better but triclopyr would be better in general this time of the year.

Ugahunter2013

Ok so I bought some Triclopyr. The area i am wanting to spray consists of broomsedge, wax myrtle, and sweetgum. Im only concerned with sweetgum and wax myrtle...which are listed on the label as plants this stuff will kill. The label is confusing me with all the different mixing ratios. I am thinking of just mixing with my back pack sprayer (5gal) and spot treating the sweet gums and wax myrtles. I have attached a link to the label. Can someone help me on a mixing ratio? I am not that worried about broom sedge. I figured i can kill it with glyphosphate.

Also, should I mix any surfactant with it to increase the kill rate? I have never used any before so I was unsure if it is worth it.
Thanks

https://www.raganandmassey.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Brushtox_32oz.pdf

BB2E433B-FC05-4CDE-9AC8-79673325331A.jpeg

doomtrpr_z71

You can mix it straight with oil and paint it on them, if you want to do it in a 5 gal backpack you would mix it 2-4qts per 5 gallons, so if you want to mix up just that qt it would be 1.25 gallons of water and it will need a surfactant.

Ugahunter2013

You can mix it straight with oil and paint it on them, if you want to do it in a 5 gal backpack you would mix it 2-4qts per 5 gallons, so if you want to mix up just that qt it would be 1.25 gallons of water and it will need a surfactant.

Could i spray it on the leaves or would i have to cut into the plant?

doomtrpr_z71

It should still work, otherwise you could mix it with diesel and apply it as a basal treatment. How big of an area are you treating?

Ugahunter2013

It should still work, otherwise you could mix it with diesel and apply it as a basal treatment. How big of an area are you treating?

Total area is probably 1/2 acre but it is not all wax myrtles and sweet gums. I may go in and chop the new growth with a machete since it is pretty soft and not big and then spray on top of that.

What other herbicides contain Triclopyr that may be less expensive, or make more solution than 1.5 gallons?

If I had known it only made that much I probably would have spent more money on a larger amount if it gave me more applications/coverage.

doomtrpr_z71

Total area is probably 1/2 acre but it is not all wax myrtles and sweet gums. I may go in and chop the new growth with a machete since it is pretty soft and not big and then spray on top of that.

What other herbicides contain Triclopyr that may be less expensive, or make more solution than 1.5 gallons?

If I had known it only made that much I probably would have spent more money on a larger amount if it gave me more applications/coverage.
I'd take it back to tractor supply, you can get a gallon of remedy for $60ish.

Ugahunter2013

I'd take it back to tractor supply, you can get a gallon of remedy for $60ish.

Does the solution need to get on ALL the leaves of the plant to get a total kill? I ask because some of the sweet gum regrowth was over head high and Im sure I missed a few spots but got the majority of it. I mixed it at 16oz/gallon with crop oil.

doomtrpr_z71

Does the solution need to get on ALL the leaves of the plant to get a total kill? I ask because some of the sweet gum regrowth was over head high and Im sure I missed a few spots but got the majority of it. I mixed it at 16oz/gallon with crop oil.
It's systemic, so as long as you got most of them you should be fine.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

That makes more than 1.5 gallons. You need to calibrate your sprayer to determine mixture.

Ugahunter2013

That makes more than 1.5 gallons. You need to calibrate your sprayer to determine mixture.

I sprayed this in a handheld 1 gallon sprayer. I have a 4 gallon backpack, and a 15 gallon pull behind sprayer, but I don't have enough spray to utilize them.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I sprayed this in a handheld 1 gallon sprayer. I have a 4 gallon backpack, and a 15 gallon pull behind sprayer, but I don't have enough spray to utilize them.

Calibrate the pull behind with water. Determine how many gallons of water covered 1 acre. If you want to spray a half an acre use half of the volume needed.

Probably way late with this post, but get away from the bottles that are advertising to the home owner. It's usually a diluted down version and way over priced regular chemical that can cover alot more area for cheaper. I'd take a look at crossbow, it's a higher concentration with 24-d added. It's about $120 for a 2.5 gallon jug that it will cover close to 10 acres.

doomtrpr_z71

Calibrate the pull behind with water. Determine how many gallons of water covered 1 acre. If you want to spray a half an acre use half of the volume needed.

Probably way late with this post, but get away from the bottles that are advertising to the home owner. It's usually a diluted down version and way over priced regular chemical that can cover alot more area for cheaper. I'd take a look at crossbow, it's a higher concentration with 24-d added. It's about $120 for a 2.5 gallon jug that it will cover close to 10 acres.
He's not doing a broadcast application, that's why his mix was for 1.5 gallons and there was no point in doing a calibration for a pump sprayer for spot spraying.

Ugahunter2013

I found a 2.5 gal jug of the Alligare Triclopyr 4 for $140. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since i sprayed. I will get some updated pictures. I did spray a small 2 ft sweetgum beside my yard so i could easily monitor it. About 3/4 of the leaves have shriveled up brown. All that is left is the lowest leaves. Seems to still be working slowly. However, the stuff I sprayed in my clearings was much bigger. I need to do some touch up spraying tmrw actually.