Spreading clover seed.

buckmanmike

I only have an atv 12v broadcast seed spreader. I cannot adjust the gate correctly to spread the small clover seed. Lately I mix it with larger seed to make a mix.
How can I spread just the clover for overseeding every year?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Make a new gate?

Cover some of the openings you may have on your gate, with thin cardboard or sheet metal?

What make of spreader do you have?

Below is one of the gates on one of my spreaders. You could try covering some of the "teeth" up with cardboard or thin sheet metal?

Broadcast spreader.JPG

treemanjohn

Banned
Drive faster. Seriously. I regularly sow clover with a manual broadcast spread bungie corded to the back of the 4 wheeler. Go slow on turns or you will dump out and lose seed. Been there before

Throw 12lbs per acre for the first run. Over half the seed weight in the bag is lime

buckmanmike

I have a Moutrie spreader. The gate is adjustable, but seems like seed wont flow or I would have to go 20 mph to spread correct rate. I use the spreader on my golf cart. It wont go 20mph, which is unreasonable on small plots.
Maybe duct tape part of opening???
On a side note, I would not recommend the Moultrie spreader. The sides of hopper are not sloped to direct the seed to the gate. Hard to disperse the last 10% of seed/fertilizer.

buckmanmike

Canuck5, on my spreader the gate is not controlled like your post. Its more like the air vents of a weber grill.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I always use a hand seeder on clover.
I would spread my cereal grains,cover,
Then spead brassica an clover in the hand spreader,then cultipack.
Clover is 1/8" depth,wheat is 3/4".
So e people use sand and premix the sand /clover mix.I never had any luck doing that.

buckmanmike

Ive tried the sand mix before. Did not work for me. It had moisture and caked up like ag lime. Maybe I need to find dry sand.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have spread small seed before by just leaving the gate closed. Tiny seed like clover will leak out and still spread. You will just have to drive over the area more times.