Spring is here in Southwest Georgia

spring

I heard 2 on Monday but they were calling as we were starting fires through their respective areas. Didn't hear any before or after that. It was almost like they were calling to say, "Houston, we have a problem." :)

Nothing like the melody of Gentleman Bob as he begins his spring and summer chorus.
Thanks for sharing!

Turkeytider

That was the most common sound when I was growing up. Anywhere you went you could hear it,now it's rare. What a change in one lifetime.

Yep, for a certain generation of us who were raised in the rural South, that whistle was a real part of our growing up. A good friend from high school and who owns and leases around 600 acres outside of Augusta manages his property for deer, turkey and quail. It is such a treat to sit on his camp porch and listen to multiple roosters calling. I`m convinced that properly managed property solves many ills.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Yep, for a certain generation of us who were raised in the rural South, that whistle was a real part of our growing up. A good friend from high school and who owns and leases around 600 acres outside of Augusta manages his property for deer, turkey and quail. It is such a treat to sit on his camp porch and listen to multiple roosters calling. I`m convinced that properly managed property solves many ills.
Yes Sir, I think you are right on taking care of property. Increasing population is the biggest problem we have.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
That is something I’d like to see

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Busted a covey yesterday morning.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Potterges are pairing up here now, as are summer ducks, Pileated woodpeckers, and every songbird that summers here.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I’m still seeing them in coveys, too, but usually start hearing the roosters during the first week of April. Looking forward to it all changing in just a few days.
Green shoots are coming up everywhere from last week’s burn. It’s a fun time of year.

View attachment 1074252

Great burn!

spring

Started hearing Gentleman Bob this afternoon; should be many more of them in the days ahead. We had a very good winter survival this year, so I’m excited about the outlook for spring and summer nesting.
The critical times for next hunting season, as Nicodemus said, have started.... ?

Last edited: