Spring/ summer trapping question

Doug B.

If possible, I would like to see a picture of the Ford catch. You may have to go to a bigger trap. I'm pretty sure a 550 can't even hold a F-150. ??

buckpasser

If possible, I would like to see a picture of the Ford catch. You may have to go to a bigger trap. I'm pretty sure a 550 can't even hold a F-150. ??

My man at work hit one on the way in, then managed to scoot over a foot and hit the other on the way out. They appeared to be fine when I reset them. Haha

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Nice catch buckpasser , congrats ! I pulled all my traps today , gonna clean and dye and re-wax and start over , had a picture of a coyote at one of my deer feeders last night and still seeing a few tracks on the roads but I can surely see a difference in coyote sign

buckpasser

Nice catch buckpasser , congrats ! I pulled all my traps today , gonna clean and dye and re-wax and start over , had a picture of a coyote at one of my deer feeders last night and still seeing a few tracks on the roads but I can surely see a difference in coyote sign

It’s so dry down here, sign is a little tough to read, but I’m not seeing much. When I ran the line yesterday, there were fresh tracks going right up the side of the field in the silt sand. I got my hopes up and sure enough, there she was. I’ll try to cruise around today and see if I can find some fresh tracks after that sprinkle.

furtaker

I never see as much sign this time of year as I do during the cooler months. They have a small core area right now with pups in the den, plus the heat makes them lethargic.

280 Man

Banned
I never see as much sign this time of year as I do during the cooler months. They have a small core area right now with pups in the den, plus the heat makes them lethargic.

Right now those pups only need mother's milk but just wait til the fawns are ready to drop! That's just about the time the pups start eating well! As you know that's why it so important to reduce the yote numbers early in the season!

I've taken 5 females out of my area since March!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
280 , I caught 3 a couple weeks ago and all 3 were female and neither looked pregnant or suckling pups , really didn’t look like they had ever had any . Why would that be u guess , I did kill one on public land during turkey season that was full of milk

furtaker

280 , I caught 3 a couple weeks ago and all 3 were female and neither looked pregnant or suckling pups , really didn’t look like they had ever had any . Why would that be u guess , I did kill one on public land during turkey season that was full of milk
I'm not 280 but it's my understanding that the alpha male and female are usually the only ones that breed. The other adults in the family unit just help raise the pups.

Doug B.

I'm not 280 but it's my understanding that the alpha male and female are usually the only ones that breed. The other adults in the family unit just help raise the pups.
Hopefully that is the case. We would be more overrun with them if they all had pups.

280 Man

Banned

Furtaker is spot on! Coyotes for the most part are monogamous once they find a mate! Packs if you will, consist of an alpha male and female and do the breeding! Most "packs" consist of these two, this years pups and maybe one or two more, which could be interlopers or transients!

As much as I despise a coyote they are really fascinating creatures! Whereas some animals are either diurnal, crepuscular or nocturnal coyotes tend to be all three when the situation warrants!

All I know, Im going to continue to trap and terminate every one I catch as long as Im able!