Spypoint Cell Link

thetrock

I picked up one of the new Spypoint Cell-Link Universal Cellular Adapter that will turn any non-cellular camera into a cellular-capable device. The Cell Link has an SD card on a cable that plugs into the camera and will allow the door to close. There is also a slot for a micro sd card in the Cell Link adapter that will still capture your image on a SD card. It uses the same Spypoint app on your cell phone as the existing wifi Spypoint cameras. Cost for Cell Link adapter is only $59.99 and easy to hook up. They offer in both Verizon and Nationwide.

I couldn't get the Cell Link adapter to get a signal to start with even though I could get a 2 bar signal with the new Spypoint Link Micro LTE camera. I moved around the property and still couldn't get a signal so I decided to take it with me to town and try there. It connected in town and worked great. I plugged up to a trail camera in truck and I got first picture instantly on my cell phone. Once I got home, I tried to get a signal and now I got 2 out of 5 bars and I took a test picture and it sent picture instantly to my cell phone.

Don't know how reliable it will be in long run but for $59.99 it is a low cost to make a regular trail cam into a cellular one! They just came out a few days ago and are hard to find. I bought one of two that Academy got in from Spypoint!

ssramage

I picked one up today on a whim in Academy. I tried a Link Micro once and immediately took it back. If this works as advertised it'll be great. I much prefer my non-cell cams over the Spypoint ones.

sleepr71

That’s a great idea. Keep us posted on how it performs! Sounds like it could use a booster Antenna/signal booster..??

shdw633

I said I wasn't going to be buying anymore Spypoint stuff but I guess I am weak as I just ordered one from Academy to try out. I like that the idea of moving it from one camera to the other so we'll see how it goes.

thetrock

Set up this Cell-Link adapter last Friday in Kentucky with a Moultrie trail camera and it seems to be working fine. I've already used up my free 100 pictures so will have to purchase a plan for more.

When setting this adapter up make sure you set your Cell-Link to send pictures immediately and test your camera location no matter what signal strength you receive from adapter. My Adapter signal was only one bar and I almost moved to another location to see if I could receive a better signal but i started receiving pictures immediately on my cell phone and I've already received the 100 photos since Friday.

My other Spypoint Micro link LTE camera received a red signal and only one bar also but I received pictures from it immediately.

sleepr71

Sounds like we need to figure out a way to adapt a signal booster to these! Course by the time we do all that..you’ve spent just about as much money as you would on a new cell cam?

shdw633

Set up this Cell-Link adapter last Friday in Kentucky with a Moultrie trail camera and it seems to be working fine. I've already used up my free 100 pictures so will have to purchase a plan for more.

When setting this adapter up make sure you set your Cell-Link to send pictures immediately and test your camera location no matter what signal strength you receive from adapter. My Adapter signal was only one bar and I almost moved to another location to see if I could receive a better signal but i started receiving pictures immediately on my cell phone and I've already received the 100 photos since Friday.

My other Spypoint Micro link LTE camera received a red signal and only one bar also but I received pictures from it immediately.

They don't give you the first month free? They did that on all their other Spypoint products?

thetrock

They don't give you the first month free? They did that on all their other Spypoint products?
Looks like the Cell Link is only 7 days free to start and 100 free each month. The camera's are still free for first month and 100 free after that.

thetrock

Sounds like we need to figure out a way to adapt a signal booster to these! Course by the time we do all that..you’ve spent just about as much money as you would on a new cell cam?
You can buy the same booster that Spypoint offers on Amazon a lot cheaper. I tried the booster on this Cell-Link adapter and it didn't seem to improve signal. As I said earlier, looks like you will receive pictures even if you only get one bar on signal strength.

ssramage

Set mine up in the woods behind my house on a fairly active trail and have received 0 pictures in the last 5 or so days. Going to check it today to see what's up. I'm guessing the cord pulled loose.

One of the drawbacks to this design is the ribbon cord that connects to the SD slot is very finnicky and will pull loose when you close the cover on the trail cam. I've had that happen a few times when checking in the yard.

ssramage

OK, so I've had this thing about a week now and have tested it in my yard and in the woods. Thought I'd share some initial first impressions of it.

First, the ribbon cord that connects the cam to the wireless unit is EXTREMELY finnicky. Depending on how you close the access door on the trail cam, it may pull out slightly and this will prevent the communication between the units.

Second, it may just be the cam that I'm testing but the pics seem to be of lesser quality and the trigger seems to be a little slower than normal.

Third, the app is a pain. It is very slow to send pics compared to my Spartan. It always signs me out of the app and overall it's just not very user friendly.

I was optimistic about the technology but Spypoint has let me down again unfortunately. I'll probably end up giving it away if it continues like this...

shdw633

OK, so I've had this thing about a week now and have tested it in my yard and in the woods. Thought I'd share some initial first impressions of it.

First, the ribbon cord that connects the cam to the wireless unit is EXTREMELY finnicky. Depending on how you close the access door on the trail cam, it may pull out slightly and this will prevent the communication between the units.

Second, it may just be the cam that I'm testing but the pics seem to be of lesser quality and the trigger seems to be a little slower than normal.

Third, the app is a pain. It is very slow to send pics compared to my Spartan. It always signs me out of the app and overall it's just not very user friendly.

I was optimistic about the technology but Spypoint has let me down again unfortunately. I'll probably end up giving it away if it continues like this...

To compare anything Spypoint to a Spartan is not realistic. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I was wondering what would happen when the door was closed on these ribbons if it would have an effect and I appreciate your input on that. Do you have to do firmware updates like you constantly seem to have to do with their cameras?

ssramage

To compare anything Spypoint to a Spartan is not realistic. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I was wondering what would happen when the door was closed on these ribbons if it would have an effect and I appreciate your input on that. Do you have to do firmware updates like you constantly seem to have to do with their cameras?
I’m not sure yet, but I’d imagine I would.

thetrock

The Spypoint Cell-Link quit sending pictures Sunday night. There has to be a problem between the trail camera and Cell-Link adapter since the adapter is sending signals to my account, just no pictures.

Since camera is set up in Kentucky, I won't know the problem until I can go back to Kentucky.

sghoghunter

I see what your saying about SPYPOINT vs Spartan is apples to oranges but according to their advertising they should be completely equal. IMO I’ll never buy anything else with SPYPOINTs name on it

shdw633

I see what your saying about SPYPOINT vs Spartan is apples to oranges but according to their advertising they should be completely equal. IMO I’ll never buy anything else with SPYPOINTs name on it

I don't mind the camera and the quality that it gives me in the pictures for the price I pay, I am just tired of all the firmware updates to keep it running. What good does a cell camera do if it's always needing me to run up to my lease to update the firmware. They really need to figure out how to do that from their headquarters or it will end up being the downfall of them I believe.

sghoghunter

I don't mind the camera and the quality that it gives me in the pictures for the price I pay, I am just tired of all the firmware updates to keep it running. What good does a cell camera do if it's always needing me to run up to my lease to update the firmware. They really need to figure out how to do that from their headquarters or it will end up being the downfall of them I believe.
Mine worked perfect till I done an update. Since then it’s been a pain

whitter

BANNED
SHDW633 wrote:

SHDW, I use the Ridgetec cell cams and I can do updates from home and I do not have to visit the cam. With my solar panels and LI battery's my visits to some of my very distant properties, has been since the beginning of hunting season last year. My security cameras on construction sites have also gone over a year.

Last edited: