Square it up?

CaptKeith

Sorry, but this is not correct...well, kind of. It's true for the exact center of the reticle assuming that's where you zeroed to. But as soon as you move off that point, the POI will shift relative to the axis of the bore. Dial the scope up or down, or use the BDC marks and your shots will not hit where they should. It may or may not matter depending largely on the distance you are shooting and how important accucracy is to you. In the deer woods at 100yds, you're probably not going to notice it. Stretch that out to 600yds and it might result in a miss or wounded animal.
I can see how that works, thanks!

CaptKeith

Sorry, but this is not correct...well, kind of. It's true for the exact center of the reticle assuming that's where you zeroed to. But as soon as you move off that point, the POI will shift relative to the axis of the bore. Dial the scope up or down, or use the BDC marks and your shots will not hit where they should. It may or may not matter depending largely on the distance you are shooting and how important accucracy is to you. In the deer woods at 100yds, you're probably not going to notice it. Stretch that out to 600yds and it might result in a miss or wounded animal.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't at 3 or 400

Murph and Jester, I’ve been thinking about this, and I think I’m going to stick with my original assumption, but would like your thoughts on why I may be wrong. Her are my thoughts: My body is not quite the same as yours, amd I might naturally cant the gun slightly more than you. If I make my reticule vertical to my cant, then as long as I go vertical along the line of my reticule it will stay on out to as far as the gun will shoot. In other words, I can cant my reticule all I want, even stupidly crooked, and as long as I hold the gun in an attitude of vertical reticule, then it will be accurate all the way out. Where you can get in trouble is when the reticule is crooked when you hold the gun, then as you raise the gun for different ranges your center moves, causing a miss. Bottom line is that the reticule must be vertical to the shooter and how the shooter raises for range, not to some particular part of the gun.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you can do it any way you would like.

I believe it is a flaw in the way you mount the rifle. It reminds me of my friend that is left handed and buys right hand rifles. They don't fit him and he has to cant the scope to compensate.

they make mounts for ARs so that you can mount sights at a 45. What you are saying is valid and there are uses for it. I don't believe in a bolt gun it is conducive to repeatable accuracy. All of the published data that folks don't generally prove on their gun will be off.

Mount your scope 90* from where you have it. This will of course exaggerate things. Anything you use to calculate spin drift is going to be affected. And it will be really hard to adjust your windage. What figure exactly will you use to make the spin drift calculations since the bore is off of the right side (if that is the way you went) of the vertical plane? How much up will you need when the barrel is 1.5" to the right (the distance your scope might be mounted) instead of vertical? You will just have a milder version of this.

probably will work ok at 100 or so yards

i wonder why rifle makers drill those holes on top to mount your scope in the center of the bore?

rosewood

No doubt holding the crosshair crooked isn't going to do well at distance and even when the vertical crosshair isn't passing through the center of the bore, your impact will be closer to where you intend. However, at distance when the vertical crosshair isn't passing through the bore and the crosshair is straight, the impact is going to drift further and further from the vertical crosshair the farther out you go. If it is vertical, the bullet will fall along the line of the vertical crosshair. If not vertical, it will fall along a line at an angle from the vertical crosshair moving it further from the crosshair which will put it off if you are using BDC reticles, or are adding clicks. To zero it at distance, you would need to move both windage and elevation to adjust from 100 yards to say 500 yards to compensate for just the distance. A picture would help, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to draw it.

Rosewood

rosewood

they make mounts for ARs so that you can mount sights at a 45.

Yes, but in theory, they will be perpendicular to the bore which would still allow for the crosshair to bisect the bore. Even if not, those are usually for close range sights (red dots etc, magnified scope is still mounted on the top, I believe, which the error is insignificant in a run and gun competition.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
Yes, but in theory, they will be perpendicular to the bore which would still allow for the crosshair to bisect the bore. Even if not, those are usually for close range sights (red dots etc, magnified scope is still mounted on the top, I believe, which the error is insignificant in a run and gun competition.

Rosewood
that was one of the points I was trying to make. His sights (canted)will be perpendicular to the bore as well...and he would be OK at close range only

rosewood

that was one of the points I was trying to make. His sights (canted)will be perpendicular to the bore as well...and he would be OK at close range only
I know, I was trying to provide another perspective.