Squirrel Dog Trainers

My 14 year old just bought a fiest puppy. I was wondering do you know of someone close to South GA that could train the pup to hunt squirrels.

Hillbilly stalker

My 14 year old just bought a fiest puppy. I was wondering do you know of someone close to South GA that could train the pup to hunt squirrels.
There was a Williams man in Georgia than runs a training place. I can’t think of his full name, but if you know anyone who takes the “ Full Cry” hunting magazine....he keeps an advertisement in the add section with his contact info. I don’t know him personally, but I spoke to him on the phone several years ago and he sure seemed like a straight up guy.

Hillbilly stalker

I found him Robbie WIlliams , williamsgeorgiakennels.com . He’s located in Grayson Georgia, kind NE of Atlanta .

dslc6487

Somehow, get the puppy properly trained, either do it yourself with the help of people on this forum, or, get the puppy to a trainer. Your 14 year old son will love hunting squirrels with his dog. I am 75 and have been doing it for 50 years. Had several good dogs and have a lot of memories. Also, you had rather have your son taking care of and hunting his dog, rather than being involved in some mischief in this world that is so tempting to young people these days.

Ray357

AWOL
I don't know. I trained my own. Just take him walking in the woods. If he is a good squirrel dog, he hunts. If not shoot one out to him. If that don't work, I move on to the next dog because that one will never be great.

dslc6487

I agree with Ray357. Keep him in the woods often, kill a few and throw them in front of him to smell and chew on a bit, and if he has the genes, he will take it from there.

dslc6487

I agree with Ray357. Keep him in the woods often, kill a few and throw them in front of him to smell and chew on a bit, and if he has the genes, he will take it from there.

GA1dad

Old fella I once knew said to cut the heads off right after the shot and give it to the dog as a reward and they will catch on quick and hunt up their next treat. Never tried it,, but it makes sense.

stonecreek

My 2 cents worth after 40 years fooling with hounds, fiest and curs. Keep them in the woods. Let them be pups and experience all that comes with that. Let them chase game and build up there prey drive. Work on foundation stuff such as recall, gunfire, loading up etc... at that age encourage the pup and correct bad behavior but let him be a pup. Remember pups are a lot like tomatoes on a vine. They mature at different times. All 3 of my daughters became all state softball players. But... I sure didn’t think they would when they were playing T-ball!! Good luck

greg_n_clayton

Only thing I can add that hasn't been mentioned IMO is once the pup has been introduced to and knows what a skwerl is....shoot one out to it alive. Let it get it's nose chewed on a little bit. It will then hate em ! Has worked for me over the years.