Squirrel hunters wanted . .

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It may take a minute before anything happens, @smirker. Quack has been in the hospital.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Dad gum.... Do tell, what has happened to my Quack bro? Praying everything is gonna be OK with him.

ArmyTaco

Sorry for the late response. I personally don't have a bird YET, but have two good friends that have red tails. I'll eventually get one, but just learning where I can right now.
What species do you fly?

GWH

When can I bring out some raptors!? Between myself, and a few other local falconers, we have 7 squirrel hawks we can fly. 3 redtails and 4 Harris's hawks. The best time to hunt is when 1/2 the leaves have fallen.
I am interested in this, where are you located

ghadarits

Man there is nothing better in this world than hunting tree rats with a good treeing dog. I've never been around anyone that had raptors to hunt with but that sounds like it would be something to see. The Jack in the picture was 16yo when she caught the rat in her mouth. That dog had more desire to hunt than any dog I've ever been around. I really miss her a lot.

Attachments

• Chloe at 16yo still catching them.jpg
    Chloe at 16yo still catching them.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

4x4

I am interested in this, where are you located

6 miles East of Athens, Oglethorpe County

Man there is nothing better in this world than hunting tree rats with a good treeing dog. I've never been around anyone that had raptors to hunt with but that sounds like it would be something to see. The Jack in the picture was 16yo when she caught the rat in her mouth. That dog more desire to hunt than any dog I've ever been around. I really miss her a lot.

Its amazing how well the birds work with "their" dog. They trust only him, and wont hunt over anyone else's dog. They know Commander won't rush in and try to take their catch, and that he is there to protect them against other predators that may be in the woods while they are on the ground with caught game.

It is the PERFECT time of the year for hawking. Squirrels think they can still hide in what leaves are still on the trees, but nothing gets past a raptors vision. If anyone wants to join in on the hunt, I'll be flying hawks every weekend from now till March.

4x4

After Thanksgiving weekend, I will be willing to travel with my hawks. I've been deer hunting a lot but still have time to hunt the birds during mid day. After this weekend, I wont be deer hunting anymore, I will be flying the hawk till March. Belle caught these 2 squirrels within 10 minuets and didn't even get 100 yards from the truck. Out of the 4 redtail hens I have trapped, trained and hunted with, this one is turning out to be one killer bird.
Preferred property for the redtail is hardwoods, open fields with briar patches for the Harris's hawk. I try not fly on property smaller than 20 acres.

Snapchat-139302935.jpgScreenshot_20201123-081255.jpg

Atomic Anvil

If you are still seeing a good amount, I would love to bring my Mountain Cur down for some training. She’s 14 months, and great at spotting and flushing the up the tree, she just needs to learn to stay on the tree with them.
D2BEF9CC-7916-46BD-90DB-EF00020CFFA5.jpeg