Squirrel Hunting Pine Log WMA

aztecrider

I am contemplating taking my 6 year squirrel hunting this weekend at Pine Log WMA. Does anyone know if the gates will be open or how far we would need to walk? Is there a different road or better spot where we can park instead of the check station to access the WMA? Would it be better early in the morning, mid-day, or afternoon? This would be his first time in the woods hunting.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

aztecrider

Thank you for the response and information.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Did y’all get any? I am late to the thread but I was wondering how y’all did. I don’t see many when I go there.......I’d like to trap some from my house and take them there.

aztecrider

We ended up with 4. It was windy in the morning, but all in all, it was a beautiful day in the woods.

soyota

@aztecrider, I think we may've been out there on the same weekend! This was my first trip back to Pine Log in about 10 years, so it was really just about scouting, but I decided I'd be squirrel hunting so I had a reason to do all the work.

Drove from the main entrance up to where the bridge crosses the creek, and then walked from there up Donahue Rd. to the "big fields" around -84.671W, 34.284N. Spent most of an afternoon still-hunting that ridge and it was spookily lifeless. Found some minimal deer-sign but I'm not going back for squirrels.

The next day I went in by the southernmost gate, the one just past the church, and took the second right to get down to the power-line easement. From there I walked the woods to the north of the power lines, going SW back toward the entrance, and saw a good number of squirrels. To get back there you could instead just take the first right, which will run you into a closed gate but you'd be within 200yds of where I shot one.

aztecrider

Thanks Soyota for the response. We went two weeks ago to a property in Rome and whacked five of them. A friend of mine had been 4 times before with no success, so it was great for him to get a few.