Squirrel Opener: It's Official, folks, The Kid is a Hunter.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Me and my Son, The Kid, and Little Brother were in the Satilla River swamp shortly after sun-up this morning to open the 2020 Squirrel Chasing season.

Some of you are aware of the time we've been putting in getting ready for this, and it couldn't have worked out better.

The Kid took his first shot at a live critter, and scored his first kill, knocking Ol Bushytail off the limb he was crouched on thinking nobody saw him. He made a nice shot, about 60 feet up.

We were all tickled, but guys I got a lump in my chest, the kind of pride that only comes along every third blue moon.

Screenshot_20200815-124411.png

A bit further down the road, The Kid and me got after a pair of Pine Rats, he got one, and I got the other...Screenshot_20200815-124416.png

We hunted on, and along the way we picked up three more. Son and Little Brother got a couple, and we all three shot up the world at a runner, but seven rounds later we had him...

Total of six rats, 4 miles hiked, and good times had. Couldn't have phoned in an order for a better Opening Morning.

Screenshot_20200815-124420.png

Hillbilly stalker

Man that’s some great stuff ! Congratulations on a fine hunt ! Them boys are grinning like a mule eating briars. They will be ready to go again now ?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Great job.

dslc6487

Sir: It don't get any better than that!!! Building memories that will last a life time.

You have 2 great blessings there in your 2 sons. And, you are not taking them for granted. Time spent with them cannot, I repeat, cannot be replaced
Y'all have a great season....

wvdawg

Staff member
Fantastic! Congrats all on a great day of making memories!

Since you've already been out, can you answer me a question? What weapon am I allowed to use right now to squirrel hunt on a WMA that doesn't specifically state what's allowed until the deer season starts, of course. Can I always bring a shotgun/pellet gun right now? I've gotten so confused.

Here you go partner:

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/hunting-information/

Also if you're hunting public land:

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/general-w-m-a-regulations/

Short answer, yes you can use the above mentioned.

Pay attention to overlapping seasons/dates on the public land of your choice.

Thanks! I finally found the first link after just rando clicking around to figure out what they mean by small game weapons. Lord... just put that on the page regarding SMALL GAME. Make this so difficult.

hambone76

That right there is what hunting is all about. Congratulations to all of you!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal! :cheers:

I think most kids nowadays miss out a lot on their growth as an outdoorsman by going straight from the cradle to hunting for deer.

Buckman18

I think most kids nowadays miss out a lot on their growth as an outdoorsman by going straight from the cradle to hunting for deer.

I absolutely agree. I have many wonderful memories of growing up in the 80's-early 90's of squirrel and dove hunting with my dad and grandfather. A couple days before my grandfather passed away from cancer, he asked my grandmother to make him squirrel n dumplins.

Tunaman

BANNED

I agree! But maybe most parents are just busier now tha years ago. I had no dons but as I look back I would rv not oc had time to take a son squirrel, rabbit hunting etc.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I see many dead squirrels in them boys future , congrats to y’all !

bany

Congratulations on a great day, that’s really what it’s all about tight there!