Squirrel Recipes Please

gagirl320

Ok my husband & son have just started squirrel hunting and I am in need of some good recipes. We grilled some but it was overly cooked and dry and well the dog had a mess to eat.

So whatcha got for me???

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I just love them, cut up, par-boiled then battered and fried like chicken.

dumplins

brown parts in skillet
simmer in chicken stock till you can pick bones out
add can of peas and carrots
make some bisquik dumplins and drop in
add some cream of chicken to thicken and serve

WOODSWIZE

I make a mean Brunswick stew using squirrel. Find yourself a stew recipe that y'all like, and then just sub squirrel meat for whatever it call's for. Cook low & slow.

pop pop jones

I cheat a little. Oil a pan, add quartered squirrels. Barely brown them, and sit them aside. Fry 3 or 4 strips of bacon, then make a white gravy.
When the gravy is ready, put the squirrels in a baking dish, cover then in gravy, bake then the same amount of time the cat heads take.

Takes self control, not to over kill the squirrel world.

They play nice with Brunswick stew ingredients too.

specialk

Ok my husband & son have just started squirrel hunting and I am in need of some good recipes. We grilled some but it was overly cooked and dry and well the dog had a mess to eat.

So whatcha got for me???

if you're handy with a pressure cooker that will soften them up....if not put them in a crockpot for 3-4 hours.....play around with the time....you don't want them ''falling off the bone'' if you want to fry or grill them....