Squirrel's and guns on public land

Thread starter #1

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
Thinking of taking up squirrel hunting for a change. Need something less challenging with easier access these days. What's ya'll's thoughts on the type of firearm on public land? I have a concern for shooting 22's up in the air. I know some use them anyway and some prefer a 410 or 20 gauge. Thanks

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think early season when the leaves are out and the mast hasn't fallen, the shotgun has the advantage for pure efficiency.
Later, The leaves and the mast and the squirrels are on the ground so the rifle comes into play for longer ranges. Vision better along with ground also.

I think your going to find squirrel hunting a little more challenging than your expecting. It's probally one of , if not THE best ways to sharpen your woodsman ship skills. Having said that, always make sure of your background on a shot. I use a.22 95% of the time and have never had a problem. And I generally work on the squirrel population pretty good. You will also learn a lot about the land you hunt and where the deer actually are all season. Good luck.

Thread starter #4

flynlow

I think your going to find squirrel hunting a little more challenging than your expecting. It's probally one of , if not THE best ways to sharpen your woodsman ship skills. Having said that, always make sure of your background on a shot. I use a.22 95% of the time and have never had a problem. And I generally work on the squirrel population pretty good. You will also learn a lot about the land you hunt and where the deer actually are all season. Good luck.
Great point Hillbilly. My thing is about being sure of the background when shooting a .22 up in a tree and missing...it's gotta come back down somewhere and that's where my concern is on public land, and I hate the thought of having to carry a shotgun for in the tree shots and a .22 for on or near the ground shots.

I only get to deer hunt once or twice a season any more and usually pass on almost everything I see but squirrels are everywhere it seems so I thought it would be something different and fun and get some exercise walking around instead of sitting in a stand. Thanks

PopPop

Great point Hillbilly. My thing is about being sure of the background when shooting a .22 up in a tree and missing...it's gotta come back down somewhere and that's where my concern is on public land, and I hate the thought of having to carry a shotgun for in the tree shots and a .22 for on or near the ground shots.

I only get to deer hunt once or twice a season any more and usually pass on almost everything I see but squirrels are everywhere it seems so I thought it would be something different and fun and get some exercise walking around instead of sitting in a stand. Thanks
My favorite squirrel rifle is a peep sighted Marlin 39A firing short hollow points, safe for most squirrel environs. You could even fire CB caps and be down to pellet gun power levels.

I like the CCI SGB loads. Not hyper velocity don’t damage as much meat
they also have started making 22 Longs I need to pick some of those up too

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman”
I know it’s always been said.... know where your bullet is going , what is your concern? That it may hit a home or someone ? I know I’ve shot thousands up in trees

Thread starter #13

flynlow

I know it’s always been said.... know where your bullet is going , what is your concern? That it may hit a home or someone ? I know I’ve shot thousands up in trees
Yea, pretty much. Law of physics says what goes up must come down so I guess I'm just a lil paranoid.

If you are new to squirrel hunting your in for a challenge. They all but vanish from areas you know they are when you hunting them. It may be my timing but it's always a challenge. I consider a good day when I harvest 3 or more. When I squirrel hunt I'm usually scouting. Walk , sit an hr, walk, sit. They are not active all the time. Good luck

Thread starter #15

flynlow

If you are new to squirrel hunting your in for a challenge. They all but vanish from areas you know they are when you hunting them. It may be my timing but it's always a challenge. I consider a good day when I harvest 3 or more. When I squirrel hunt I'm usually scouting. Walk , sit an hr, walk, sit. They are not active all the time. Good luck
Man you hit the nail on the head. Went yesterday, walked around for about 3 hrs in 2 different spots, in pines, in hardwoods, in mixed pines/hardwoods...didn't see the first one. We sat a couple times but not for long. We're still in disbelief. :huh:

Needless to say, when we're hunting something else they're everywhere. Wasn't a waste of time by no means, got to spend a lil time with my youngest, and we found some good hog sign too. We'll be back, we know they're there.
:biggestshoot:

Man you hit the nail on the head. Went yesterday, walked around for about 3 hrs in 2 different spots, in pines, in hardwoods, in mixed pines/hardwoods...didn't see the first one. We sat a couple times but not for long. We're still in disbelief. :huh:

Needless to say, when we're hunting something else they're everywhere. Wasn't a waste of time by no means, got to spend a lil time with my youngest, and we found some good hog sign too. We'll be back, we know they're there.
:biggestshoot:
Never fails man.... it's as if they know they are the target. Also the leaves being down they see or hear you coming for 3, 400 yards. Only thing you can do is get close to the area spotted and sit, wait. Eventually he'll come back out. 20 minutes.... maybe just before dark. I have better luck if I just sit like I'm deer hunting. Lol

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I have figured out that a squirrel is not nearly afraid of a person in a tree stand as someone on the ground. In fact, I've seen many many that are curious enough to come check me out from quite a distance away. The easiest way for me to kill him is to take advantage of the reason I wanna kill them and go get in my ladder stands or lock-ons My 1st goal is to get rid of them around my tree stands. Just like deer hunting, once you are up off the ground it's a whole new ball game…

Now you need to learn what their feeding on, where their nesting. And how close you are to the rut. If you think I'm kidding, I'm not. When you see a lot of them chasing, 3-5 in the same tree...rut. . The female will almost always be at the top. Let her go, that's next years crop. They seem to move best on days with a real slight rain here. Anytime is a good time. When the grey squirrels aren't moving here, usually the fox squirrels are if that's an option for you. Check your WMA rules on fox squirrels. A lot of people think squirrel hunting is silly and simple. If your guarding a feeder or corn pile it does appear that way. When you pick up a rifle or shotgun and take off around the side of the hill, reality sits in. Good luck.