Squirrels/Fannin/POOR

Dusty Roads

Is their a disease that can greatly reduce the squirrel population?
Experiencing poorest squirrel season ever.

Hillbilly stalker

Lack of mast is usually the culprit. Not this years, but last years. I've got some old timer buddies in Georgia that will tell you of migrations from one spot to the other. Hundreds moving together at one time. I'm sure it would take a little while to re populate.

ninjaneer

Lack of mast is usually the culprit. Not this years, but last years. I've got some old timer buddies in Georgia that will tell you of migrations from one spot to the other. Hundreds moving together at one time. I'm sure it would take a little while to re populate.

My dad told me he was in the woods and saw this happen once, would have been in Union or Towns county. I've never witnessed it or heard it mentioned again until now.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

I'm not an old timer just yet, but I've seen this twice in my life, most recently 4 or 5 years ago. Total mast failure and the squirrels totally disappear. You'll see them run over by the hundreds. You'll see them swimming across the lake. I don't know where they go, but it usually takes a few years for the population to recover.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I haven’t never seen a migration here in middle Georgia but my father was raised up in NC mountains and he had seen it several times. I think the mountains are more mast dependent than the piedmont areas.