Squrriel huntin with a dog?

bogobble

Hey guys, as far as huntin a sq dog when deer season is in. I have an orange collar for my sq dog, but do y'all use vest for safety on your dogs? I've also heard that a vest or harness is better on a dog , because a collar can hurt the throat area if your dog pulls on the leash. What are yalls thoughts on using a harness instead of a collar?
Quote Reply

dslc6487

I use a nylon collar and I also use a tracking collar so I will know where my dog is at all times. I also put a blaze orange vest on my dog. It is very light weight, has reflective stripes on it and fastens with velcro. This makes it easy for me to see her and also for any other hunter to see my dog.

bogobble

I use a nylon orange collar. I'm little scared to put a vest or harness on Lucie, she loves water she'll swim creeks and I'm scared she might get hung up in a tree top in middle of a creek. I just started using a Garmin alpha 100 and tt15 Minni. Love to be able to see where she's at, and love to be able to beep her and her follow me back to truck when I get ready to go. I'm getting too old to walk in after her when she's treed half mile in, and leash her out. lol

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Fine looking pups , all of em ! What few times I’ve squirrel hunted with dogs it was a blast ! I have a little miniature schnauzer that is out of shape but she’s pretty rough on em

mtcur

Older one is Cauley feist about 2 1/2 years old and pup is Barger out of O'Dell's Coolwhip . Can't want for the leaves to fall off. I have the big ideal to use orange hair coloring like kids use at halloween so they are not mistaken for deer.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 16
  • pup.JPG
    pup.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Older one is Cauley feist about 2 1/2 years old and pup is Barger out of O'Dell's Coolwhip . Can't want for the leaves to fall off. I have the big ideal to use orange hair coloring like kids use at halloween
Ol Coolwhips a sure nuff squirrel dog ! And he reproduces squirrel dogs.(y)

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Had a George Cauley dog for 17 years. Best squirrel dog I have ever hunted with and I have hunted with a lot of them. When she died, it broke my heart. But, she was just worn out. When I would let her out of her pen in her later days, she would go to the nearest tree and start sniffing around it and looking up. I had to put her down this past February. Have another feist, not George Cauley, that I trained with my old dog. She is good but not as good as my ole Dixie. I had her cremated and when I go in the ground, she is going with me, never to be separated again.
Shoot me a pm if you want some more of that blood in your line

mtcur

mizzippi jb where are you located? I am thinking about breeding my Cauley female next spring. Haven't decided what to cross her with. Stay with a Cauley blood or Coolwhip. What are some of the member's thoughts?

delacroix

BANNED
mizzippi jb where are you located? I am thinking about breeding my Cauley female next spring. Haven't decided what to cross her with. Stay with a Cauley blood or Coolwhip. What are some of the member's thoughts?
Leave the breeding to professionals. Buy a pup from a cross you like to support the work and breed.

mtcur

Leave the breeding to professionals. Buy a pup from a cross you like to support the work and breed.
I was looking for advice from others with more experience than me and I thank you for yours. My female has Red Bluff Rooster , Red Bluff Tom, Cauley's Copper, and 11 more Red Bluff dogs in her pedigree. Just because I did not buy her from Mr. Cauley's yard does not mean his work and knowledge is not in her. I plan to consult with Mr. Cauley and other professionals to find the best stud her.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
This really isn't the way it's done with squirrel dogs down here in the south, but the post is a good way to show your ignorance. I believe mtcur is on the right track, and I believe most "professionals" would tip their caps to how he's going about it

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I was looking for advice from others with more experience than me and I thank you for yours. My female has Red Bluff Rooster , Red Bluff Tom, Cauley's Copper, and 11 more Red Bluff dogs in her pedigree. Just because I did not buy her from Mr. Cauley's yard does not mean his work and knowledge is not in her. I plan to consult with Mr. Cauley and other professionals to find the best stud her.
I live in newnan, my male dog spends time between here and my dad's house in Rabun County. He's not able to hunt like he once did, so ole George and his sister Meg stay with me when it's time to hunt.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Just noticed you're from Clarkesville. My family owns the assisted living home in demorest across from the hospital. I sold my business a few months ago and am back working up there. Let's plan to get together some time

delacroix

BANNED
This really isn't the way it's done with squirrel dogs down here in the south, but the post is a good way to show your ignorance. I believe mtcur is on the right track, and I believe most "professionals" would tip their caps to how he's going about it
Bull. It's a fact that a lot of bad crosses and culls are made by people who should know better, but to suggest there aren't solid breeders and breeds in the South is nonsense. Your attitude is why so many people end up with rejects instead of solid prospects.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Nah..... I'm pretty knowledgeable on how it's done, it's been in the family for a long time. It's just that the guy asked for a few opinions and what folks thought and you came in like the guy was gonna breed a crocker to a pitbull. He said he was gonna do exactly what most folks who want a good litter would do. Ask knowledgeable people. It seems like a lot of your posts are way negative from the ones I've read

mtcur

Just noticed you're from Clarkesville. My family owns the assisted living home in demorest across from the hospital. I sold my business a few months ago and am back working up there. Let's plan to get together some time
I talked squirrrel dogs with a gentleman about 25-25 years ago that owned Magnolia Hills in Demorest. Best I understood he lived on Hwy 17 North at the White Co. line. all ways had horses. Would enjoy getting together with you. Wife is having health problems now but hope she will be better by the time leaves fall off.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Yeah that's my dad. We still have that place on 17 too.