St Andrews shrimping?

charlie81

I know a lot of you guys seine at St Andrews for shrimp. My question is, does anyone do any good using a castnet? I’m going down this month and gonna try my luck at night but I’m wondering if I’ll be wasting my time.

Rhodes

Night will definitely be the best this time of the year. Even though I have never seen anyone cast netting at St. Andrews that certainly doesn't mean that you couldn't catch some shrimp. I do feel certain that for #'s seining would be the way to go but if you have a large cast net you might give it a try. I've always heard about cast netting from the beach around a baited area that would congregate the shrimp but baiting is not legal in Ga. Give it a try and let us know how you do.

Ihunt

^. But what if he’s chumming for fish and not baiting for shrimp? You have to know how to answer the question correctly when asked “What are you doing”? ?

Botri2

What is the best current coefficient ranges to seine for shrimps at at St Andrews for the next two weeks?

Rhodes

I have been keeping records since 1998 and I cannot discern any noticeable difference in the catch related to tide coefficient. For years I always seined the outgoing tide because that was how I was taught but the last few years we have seined the incoming as well and seem to do just as good. We caught those on the incoming. What does matter is the time of day. We always do better seining at dusk and after. That's not to say that you couldn't catch some during the day but you will definitely do better at night. For example, we started seining the other day at about an hour before dark and made (4) pulls just to get our bait for fishing the next day (approx 175 shrimp) but once it got dark we pulled (2) more times and got approx 35 lbs to take home. Also there does need to be some current so the time around dead low or dead high wouldn't be that good. Also there is limited beach to pull out at St. Andrews so usually the two hour window on either side of the high tide you couldn't seine anyway. Hope this helps.

Thinking about seining Thursday or Friday Sept 17 or 18. Anyone tried this week or recently???? I have my son in-laws for really good help!! Thanks