St George Island FL - fishing 10/10-10/13

95g atl

My son has a birthday next week and also it is their "fall break" for school. He wanted to go to the beach. We usually go to Mexico Beach, however, the hurricane really beat the heck out of that place and the usual places we've stayed are nonexistent (destroyed). Looked at some other options, but the feasible ones are already booked --- only ones left are the 4000 sq ft beach houses that are as much as a down payment for a short vacation. Makes zero sense with just him and I.

First time booking St George Island FL, and first time will be there. Taking a 19 foot center console Carolina Skiff. Definitely not an offshore package and I have little desire to try and go offshore with my limited ocean experience and on a small boat. The boat draft is extremely shallow, though I don't want to destroy my outboard on a sandbar OR oyster bar. What i'm thinking is launch at the St George Island Boat Ramp and tool around Apalachicola Bay. The Bay is HUGE and there is no way with a long weekend we'd be able to explore all of it. Doesn't matter what we catch as we release everything. My son is going to be 9 years old and we've been to Lanier dozens of times and haven't caught anything "large". I'd like to show him that dad can get him some good memories with reeling in some good size fish/shark/rays/ whatever fights. Again, doesn't matter what as i'm releasing it back into the water.

I have saltwater gear already, not as much as a guide or true weekend pro, but enough to get by. I have GULP shrimp, lures, etc., but can definitely go on Amazon today/tomorrow and order what else is needed.

Any folks out there that have experience in Apalachicola Bay and can offer some advice on what we should be doing/going/using/etc....?

I've even thought about one day driving to Indian Pass and launching there, and perhaps going around St Vincent Island. That channel is suppose to have a large shark population, might be interesting. (I have some medium size circle hooks for shark).

Thanks in advance fellas!

Last edited:

Fourfingers

Right now folks been catching them up against the grass drifting poggies up next to the water grass line. If you follow St George island fishing on Facebook they got a lot good info on what going on rite now

WaltL1

You might also want to check out the Sate Park at the end of St. George.
Boat ramps and some "back water" areas that would be perfect for your size boat etc.

douginga

If you want to get on some big fish, you can catch Bull Reds from the beach on Indian Pass. They should be showing up now & be there through the fall.
I use either chunks of fresh mullet or blue crab for bait. 100 lb leader or so with a 8/0 circle hook & you'll need at least a 4 oz spider type weight, the current really rips through the pass. Do the best on outgoing tide, honestly only time I fish there anymore. IMG_2289.JPGIMG_2315.JPGIMG_2319.JPG

GONoob

I always bring a couple crab pots. We caught blue and stone crab and an 11" flounder couple weeks ago. Small sharks/rays can be caught with squid/cut bait. Whiting/trout on frozen shrimp.

95g atl

Thanks for all the replies.

I have FIVE big crab traps, but haven't had great success last spring break. Might bring a couple vs five since they take up SO much room on the boat.

Indian Pass, been there but never launched a boat, yes heard the current is STRONG...!!! I only have 2 & 3 oz pyramid weights :(

Never been to St George Island so presuming there is a place to buy shrimp, squid and some bait to cut. ;)

Doug - nice fish your lady has!!!! Awesome, that would be the size that would put up a fight. I like it....!

GONoob

I buy mackeral from farmers market $.99/lb to use as shark/crab bait. Also, shrimp for $1.99.

95g atl

I buy mackeral from farmers market $.99/lb to use as shark/crab bait. Also, shrimp for $1.99.
Here in Suwanee, we have a large asian market (HMart). I'll try there.... ;)
Thanks for the suggestion.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
You can almost always catch fish in the bay under a Cajun thunder popping cork with a jig under it. We usually just drift the flats then mark the depth we get our bites in and target that depth.

95g atl

You can almost always catch fish in the bay under a Cajun thunder popping cork with a jig under it. We usually just drift the flats then mark the depth we get our bites in and target that depth.

Just ordered THREE of them off Amazon!

Any more suggestions to get? Today is the last day for me to order off Prime and get to the house by Wednesday........

RGRJN

Theres a couple Bait shops on the island.My favorite one is in East Point, that I can never remember the name.Not trying to be an a@#, there is a lot of good reading if you put St George fishing in the search bar on this site....it's how I taught myself. I am also no where near an expert.There is a good chance of big black drum using blue crabs off the old bridge....mainland side. I'll be down there Saturday..... If you see guy pulling two kayaks and looking like a tourist, it'll probably be me. Think we are staying off 6th st

Joe

Fourfingers

I have FIVE big crab traps, but haven't had great success last spring break. Might bring a couple vs five since they take up SO much room on the boat.

Indian Pass, been there but never launched a boat, yes heard the current is STRONG...!!! I only have 2 & 3 oz pyramid weights :(

Never been to St George Island so presuming there is a place to buy shrimp, squid and some bait to cut. ;)

Doug - nice fish your lady has!!!! Awesome, that would be the size that would put up a fight. I like it....!
You can buy about everything you

Fishermans choice is where we buy our bait they have fresh shrimp if available and frozen. Plus if you talk to the older man in their his name is Charles he will help you with whats biting and where

Fourfingers

Theres a couple Bait shops on the island.My favorite one is in East Point, that I can never remember the name.Not trying to be an a@#, there is a lot of good reading if you put St George fishing in the search bar on this site....it's how I taught myself. I am also no where near an expert.There is a good chance of big black drum using blue crabs off the old bridge....mainland side. I'll be down there Saturday..... If you see guy pulling two kayaks and looking like a tourist, it'll probably be me. Think we are staying off 6th st

Joe
Fishermans choice

GONoob

Here in Suwanee, we have a large asian market (HMart). I'll try there.... ;)
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thats where I get em'!! Well, the pleasent hill one lol. I also go to buford hwy farmers market, right off the hwy.

95g atl

Thanks for all the helpful advice....!!!

If anyone else is going to St George Island, Indian Pass, and Mexico Beach during October 10-13, PM me your number. Maybe we can compare notes. :)

jfinch

I am going to be at Indian pass till Monday. 95g atl and I already have each others info. Would be great to share as much info as possible so everyone that is there can catch a mess of fish.

Joel

I am going to be at Indian pass till Monday. 95g atl and I already have each others info. Would be great to share as much info as possible so everyone that is there can catch a mess of fish.
Please post how y'all do. I'm heading down Saturday for a week.

95g atl

Thursday results: windy as heck. White caps in bay. Beach had 2-3 foot waves.
Went to boat ramp and didn’t even think I’d be able to launch with the waves pounding against dock.

Msteele

Thursday results: windy as heck. White caps in bay. Beach had 2-3 foot waves.
Went to boat ramp and didn’t even think I’d be able to launch with the waves pounding against dock.

When the wind is bad I head to the state park and launch at the boy scout ramp. There are some good oyster bars out there to fish.