St Mark's 4/18: A quickie

doomtrpr_z71

Well, the hub kit that came for the ole seapro was the right hub but had the wrong bearings, so we decided to sneak in one last trip this month by borrowing a boat. I guess 530 was too early for the cat:

IMG_20200415_223937-01.jpeg

It was a strange drive, I never pull the boat with my truck down, I pull it to meet Bobby and he pulls it, so it was a bit of a strange drive or maybe it was because I looked at the radar and we actually had a serious discussion in his driveway about whether it was worth going.

8f125da4fc7a6a078489d73df9e8cbf24f7e8ec3-14-01.jpeg

But we decided we could handle the rain as long as the lightning stayed offshore. Turns out the borrowed boat ran good, the rain wasn't that bad and while the plan was to chase Spanish, the first stop netted a keeper trout on the first cast so we had high hopes.

IMG_20200418_104343-01.jpeg

Our team dynamic was a bit off though as our roles were reversed for this trip.

IMG_20200418_105530-01.jpeg

But, after the excitement of several large bluefish, I caught our lone Spanish of the day.

MVIMG_20200418_111356-01.jpeg

However, we never found another Spanish the rest of the day, found the one and the blues in 5ft, we tried all the way out past the stake line out to 12ft and even tried trolling spoons near the stake line. We spent too much time chasing Spanish for the smoker. We still ended up with a nice mixed bag with 5 keeper trout, one Spanish, 4 blues and a very nice seabass. We caught almost everything in 4-5ft in the rock garden, one trout did come from 3 ft but it was a fluke. The margherita lime chicken and iguana daiquiri trout tricks were the preferred color as usual. Topwaters poppers in chartreuse bones and pink bones were not very strong even with the overcast sky. A newpenny chatterbait was solid as well, as was a purple death broke back corky.

IMG_20200418_185155-01.jpeg

Hickory Nut

The radar would have spooked me. I've been the recipient of enough bad weather days on the water that I just don't want to fool with it. Maybe I need to reassess. Nice bag of fish.

doomtrpr_z71

The radar would have spooked me. I've been the recipient of enough bad weather days on the water that I just don't want to fool with it. Maybe I need to reassess. Nice bag of fish.

I think its because we have had good luck fishing the rock garden in the rain, a lot of times the rain will go over the light house and stay closer to shore. But we have always had good luck when the weather is not that great as well. We wont fish with lightning but rain we are good with. We actually fished last October during Tropical Storm Nestor and the fishing was pretty good and the weather wasn't that bad. It was a little more windy than normal but the fishing was great so I'll take it.